Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

NJ Spring Bait Presence

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have never fished in the spring for striper. Typically I stick to trout during the spring, but this year I plan to fish the spring because I want to beat my pb of 29 inches. By the spring I mean from around mid April - end of May. From what I have gathered so far, there are alot of large bait present, like big herring and big bunker. Is this the case? If so, is there any reason to bring smaller plugs, like 4 1/2inch plugs and such? Btw, my fishing will be done from the beach.

What I am basiclly asking, is whats the typical bait presence during mid April - end of May, and is there a reason to bring smaller plugs.

Thanks for any help guys! cwm15.gif

That time of year has larger baits yes. It also has smaller baits(spearing rain bait ect). It is a Great time to target larger fish but like said earlier, try all profiles. Look at the water. Where you are at any given time the bait could be big or small. Your plug bag should ALWAYS have a range of sizes and colors to match the hatch.

Hmm, well the thing is I have sooo many plugs in my bag I don't know what I should take out to make room for a big parrot pencil popper. Is there any plug you wouldn't bring with you during the spring? Lol, thanks for any advice biggrin.gif.