Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bud

Question

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Could someone point me to the right direction where to look for the basics of digging/gathering my own bait for saltwater fishing?

Also, times of the year and which species bite and on what. Please no books. Links, or share the information you know here if you could. Thanks.

View PostCould someone point me to the right direction where to look for the basics of digging/gathering my own bait for saltwater fishing?

Also, times of the year and which species bite and on what. Please no books. Links, or share the information you know here if you could. Thanks.

It helps if you tell us what location you are at. Also make sure to check regulations in your area

I'm from Long Island, NY. I don't want to have this thread in both places, so if a mod feels it belongs in that regional forum, please move it.

I'm all for research. That's why I am asking in this thread, where I should start it. Yes, I know I can use earthworms, and I dig for them when freshwater fishing, but for some reason I never saw saltwater fishermen using earthworms. Blood/sandworms, yes.

How can you infer that from what I wrote? I can't believe how many of you here are just sitting to ridicule and troll instead of helping out. I have been explained on several occasions that people here are extremely knowledgeable on saltwater fishing, so why waste your time on making such posts instead of answering simple questions? Are you afraid that I might actually learn something quicker and easier than it was for you?

Google digging worms, then take a shovel and go dig till you find some. My big hint is they are also called clamworms.

Say Hi to Al, tell him I hope the shoe business is going well.

Some of the basics of gathering bait can be fairly simple - just depends on what you are gathering. Live bait requires some real thought and effort - particularly if you are on foot since lugging a livewell around isn't so easy. If you are looking to freeze some bait then you can certainly use a castnet to gather the appropriate stuff. Freezing bait can be a bit tricky as a lot of the better baits are rather oily and should be handled properly to ensure the bait stays as firm as possible. The trick with a castnet is two fold - first you need to find the bait - then you need to learn to throw the net. Other nets such as minnow seins or various types of traps all work well - but you'll need to check local regulations etc. Same with eels which can be trapped and kept live or killed and frozen, salted etc. I think your question is a pretty big one and I don't think anyone would have a problem with giving you some tips and suggestions but there is a lot of bait in the ocean. Methods of catching and preserving all the possible baits could fill a couple books. Let some folks know about a specific type of bait and what you want to use it for and you'll probably get some good help. As long as you are somewhat specific but respectful of the way you ask - then you'll probably find pleanty of help.

Thanks, great tips. I'm interested in the bait that is more attainable in my area, ie Long Island, Brooklyn. I don't have a cast net, so I am more interested in all types of clams and worms that I can dig up. I only ever heard of razor clams being collected at low tide. I see plenty of dead blue mussels, but I don't know if and how they can be fished. I know there are specific tricks to collecting the baits, like I heard that the razor clams sprinkle water out of the small holes, and you have to grab them quickly or they'll dig themselves way too deep. Those are the kinds of tips I'm looking for.

Seems like a reasonable question but its out of my league. The only times I've bought clams lately they were steamed and dipped in drawn butter or consumed raw. I'm sure someone can help you out - although I suspect that gathering your own won't save much money. But again - don't know much about the clam stuff.

View PostCould someone point me to the right direction where to look for the basics of digging/gathering my own bait for saltwater fishing?

As you may or may not have run across so far, links are almost impossible to give because so many sites are commercial in nature and are not allowed. You're ruled out books, although they would be a pretty logical place to look, so I won't name any.

But you need to narrow the question a bit -- the attention span of the forum and the survival time of a thread won't allow treatment of the huge topic you named.

To narrow your question, start with the search function, find threads that discuss bait, and extract from that information to allow focused questions that can be answered in a sentence or two. Just recently there were threads on "chunking eels", "stomach contents" and "squid" which might attract your attention. Some are dead ends, some are helpful, some are brilliant. But we don't know what you DO know, so we don't know where to start without jumping over your head or without insulting your intelligence.

Example:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ight=live+bait