Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrooklynFly

704Z Rotor-painting question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Quick question for the penn restore gurus: I drilled out my 704z rotor this winter-I still have to debur and smooth holes-and I'm gonna need to get it painted. I'm thinking since it's a brand new rotor and only the holes need coating that I can get away with not fully stripping rest of paint away. I'm thinking of going with a semi black appliance or bbq type epoxy rusto, or krylon-that won't need primer. Do you think I'll have clearance problems between spool and rotor, by spraying another coat or two, w/o fully stripping down to bare metal? I've never used epoxy rattle cans before-does this stuff go on thicker than regular krylon? I plan on scotchbriting or wet sanding the original paint prior to recoat, which will hopefully take the original paint down a bit. Think this will work? I read about baking etc and would prefer not to get into that.

Nice drill job! I think your plan should be fine. Even with holes, sand & grit will get in between the spool & rotor and you will eventually scratch the interior so don't worry about clearance. I would spray some kind of clear coat afterwards, and perhaps even brush on some clear coat in the holes as a precaution.

The other option would be to just paint the exposed metal areas and coat them, but this will probably not be as durable...

Thanks staktup. Looked around yesterday for paint, the only one I could find locally was the Krylon BBQ-doesn't say on can whether this is a flat or satin paint. Believe me I called and visited a bunch of HW stores, auto supply, paint etc. I may just cut my losses at this point and order some VHT epoxy or Brownells Aluma hyde II paint and eat the shipping cost and get exactly the semi gloss black paint I want. I'll post pics when reel is done.

I picked up this VHT epoxy paint in satin black from a place called Summit Racing. It's a heavy duty epoxy auto paint-Self priming, all weather, rust & salt resistant, 250deg. Ideal for metal and aluminum. The directions sound really similar to the aluma hyde application-a couple mist coats then one heavy coat within 1 hour-let cure 7 days. I'm gonna give this a try, I did a search on this product and found some favorable comments from car guys. Gonna try to strip rotor this weekend, if I get a chance. Im planning on following Apexkeepers prep tips, but its still to cool and damp to paint outside yet.

Decided to do a full strip after PMng with TimmyB42386. Got a chance to do this, this afternoon. I used readily available Bix aerosol stripper by Jasco, cos I couldn't find Aircraft coating remover. This product worked pretty well and took all the original penn paint off in about 3-4 applications-took about an hour using a scotch brite pad and a stripping brush. Wrapped rotor in tin foil after each application, waited :10min gave it another spritz, paint came off with a lil elbow grease. Next step wet sand + prep.

look at a product called POR15 this is the link to their starter kit fo $ 20.00 http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-K...uctinfo/SSKB is a brush on epoxy and does come in black they also sell a clear epoxy metal coating, this stuff WILL NOT CHIP. My cousin builds street rods, and on the frames of his cars he uses this product, although you can also spray it on w/ a conventional sprayer .