Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagicShad

02 Explorer cooler rack

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Did a search but couldn't find anything. I have an 02 explorer and would like to put a cooler rack on went to one shop and they said ill have to put front hitch on. I really don't want to but will if i have to, was wondering if anyone has a cooler rack on an explorer without a hitch. If you have a cooler rack have you run in to any problems with over heating or running hot as well.

Thanks

Mark

Have an '04 Explorer with a cooler rack in front. Purchased the 2 hitch receiver online for about $150. Cost to have it installed was $20. No problems whatsoever with overheating. The cooler rack is about 6-8 inches away from the bumper and sits in between the headlights -- plenty of room for air to circulate.

Have an 05 explorer here with a 1-1/4 reciver on the back.

got the adapter to make a 2" receiver and put the fishing rack on the back. the adapter allows me to still open the back window.

i put it on the back because i was unsure how to put it on the front and if i would have enough clearance with it there

Not on an Explorer but I got my front hitch from Hidden Hitch( i think) on line it was right around 150 installed myself in about 20 minutes. Hold a cooler easy with no overheating issued on or off the beach.

1996 Explorer with Full size rack and 128qt Cooler in it. I drive the beaches and drove up to RI and back loaded with no overheating.

Mine is mounted on brackets bolted to the front frame rails. Also about 5-6" away from bumper.

I just put one on my 2001 explorer. Since the bumpers are plastic and the frame is box I had to weld 2 receiver pipesa on the frame and cut 2 round holdes in the bumper but it looks like they belong there. I circled where I cuts the holes--no problem with overheating. 108 quart cooler

If you do buy a hitch do a bit of research.Some brands bolt right up.Others require drilling or welding.Google hitches online. They have the hitch for the exact vehicle.Install it in 30 min. or less.