Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jester956

Tips for a rookie?

16 posts in this topic

I'm an admitted newbie to the beach buggy arena. This spring will be my first time driving on the sand. Any tips or common rookie mistakes anyone would be kind enough to pass along would be great.

What kind of rig do you have? Here's a couple of tips, learn how & practice using your 4 wheel drive, air down your tire pressure before you get too stuck, if you do get stuck ,don't bury her, carry shovel, jack, board, tow strap w/ means to attach to other rigs, the closer to water/shore the sand is usually firmer, don't drive in saltwater too much, have a buudy rig w/ ya till you get more confident, drive cool, don't speed "the only way to get ground clearance is by taller tires, the secret is to ride on top of sand & not muscle thru it" The list goes on& on & on... above all HAVE FUN

Thanks for the tips. Will be in a Xterra at IBSP. I think I have all the equipment that is generally recommended. I just don't want to make any mistakes as far as beach way courtesy goes.

All good advice above.

When driving, dont point your lights at the water if at all possable. I frequently run with only my factory fogs, mounted low on the bumper. They throw light at a low angle on the sand in front of you and dont light up the whole beach.

Maintain a slow and steady speed, avoid rapid accellerations and stops. When parked, make sure your on relativly dry sand. WATCH THE TIDE! Its easy to get involved in fishing and have the tide come up on your vehicle.

If your driving the beach during the bathing season, watch for debris left behind like disguarded beach chairs, forgotten sand spikes, etc. Also, those holes kids like to dig. Friend of mind had a run in with a hole that was about 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep, actually bent the bumper on his jeep. Almost swallowed him alive, cwm27.gif

Carry a tow strap, preferribly one WITHOUT metal hooks. These have been known to come loose and become very dangerous projectiles. Technically, a "snatch strap" should be used, they are designed to stretch and store kinetic energy where as a "tow strap" doesnt stretch as much. Make sure you have a solid place to mount the strap in the event you get stuck. Many people have done serious damage to their vehicles.

Use common sense.

I dunno what IBPS is, but if your a long islander you should join us Nissan folks in april for our annual Xterra Beach run (we're a buncha xterra/frontier guys). Head over to linxc.com and look for the date.

But if your not from LI, sorry, lol, your still invited but it might be a haul.

Like others said, air down, drive slow, and if you think your stuck, stop and look and dig before your burried up to your chasis. I helped state parks dig out three, yes THREE of their trucks becuase they burried one up to the frame, burried the 2nd trying to get the third out, and the third trying ot get #1 and #2 out...

Im a newbie myself, first time was last year. I didnt get stuck, once. What i like to do, stay in other peoples tracks. I try not to make my own. The tracks are packed down more and its what most people ride in. Plus you wont get thrown around as much.

When you do cut off from a track, try and stay in a straight line, don't turn short, turn wide and slow to prevent yourself from diggin.

And again, AIR DOWN.