Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbranco

What size trolling motor will I need???

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Dan,

I assume you are talking about an electric motor. I would suggest a bow mount motor if you are tossing lures or flies off the bow and a transom if you are trolling bait or artificials. I would get a 24 volt system (2 batteries) and as many thrusts as you can afford. For my money, I like the Minnkota 80 lb thrust bow mount tiptide. If you fly fish then get the foot peddle as the wireless remote means having to take your hand off the rod to manuver. Hope that helps some........I have been running them for many years. I must tell you I am on the Minnkota guide program so I am biased to their product. However, I had the opportunity to go with either Minnkota or Motor Guide. I chose what I felt was the better product... Both are good companies. If it is a toss up then go with the company whose repair shop is closer to you.

HCsmile.gif

I really only have 600.00 for trolling and batteries... I was thinking about getting the trolling motor with a handle, I have no front seat and I don't fly fish.

The guy at the boat shop said a 12V 55lbs thrust would be enough but I am a little worried about that...

Dan

View PostI really only have 600.00 for trolling and batteries... I was thinking about getting the trolling motor with a handle, I have no front seat and I don't fly fish.

The guy at the boat shop said a 12V 55lbs thrust would be enough but I am a little worried about that...

Dan

Dan

I do not want to burst your bubble but I believe a 12 volt will NOT be enough for what you want with that boat. If you were pulling a 17' boat weighing under 1000 lbs then I would say you could use a 12 volt system. You also MUST get a salt water motor like a riptide or great wht. My opinion.....SAVE YOUR $ AND WAIT ANOTHER YEAR!!!! You will be MUCH happier with that. Also there is NO PROBLEM w/bow mount hand control. You are looking at about $900.00 w/batteries

What's the best place to buy a Trolling motor? Any place that have great deals?

I will just have to squeeze a little more money out of the old lady that's all..

I would wait for a little while until you can swing the Minn Kota riptide pro 80...Definetely go 24V . In my opinion this is the best TM available. You'll regret spending less and end up spending more later because of it.

despite what others will/may express, I would consider going a motorguide. Equal or better than the minn kota, it's now owned by mercury, quality is now top notch and you'll save about 25% of the MK price.

I have the same boat, 60 inch shaft, 24 volt, if you deal with any waves, current, or some weigh with multiple passengers- I would suggest 70-80 lbs of thrust. 55 will require them to be run harder and slave more of the battery life. I don't think $600 will cut it- more like 1000. Finance the extra, wait for a cabelas, BP promotion for 0%

Also I would consider going wireless.

you can't have too much power, too long of shaft

View Postdespite what others will/may express, I would consider going a motorguide. Equal or better than the minn kota, it's now owned by mercury, quality is now top notch and you'll save about 25% of the MK price.

I have the same boat, 60 inch shaft, 24 volt, if you deal with any waves, current, or some weigh with multiple passengers- I would suggest 70-80 lbs of thrust. 55 will require them to be run harder and slave more of the battery life. I don't think $600 will cut it- more like 1000. Finance the extra, wait for a cabelas, BP promotion for 0%

Motor guide has been owned by Mercury for along time. It really is the only reason that motorguide still exists. They are no where near the same quailty of Minn Kota. I used to do sales and service for both. I would see 20 motorguides before 1 minn kota. They are appealing for OEM because they are less money and for good reason. You'll get what you pay for in this case. I spent a lot of time ebaying motorguides that I took off of prerigged boats to replace with a Minn Kota.

Have owned both personally and not a chance I would ever buy another motor guide.

I am not a fan of the wireless from either company also not a fan of the powerdrive style mounts(takes two hands to depoy and retreive them). I prefer the heavy scissor mounts and a hand control (and I am a fly fisherman)

24V 80LB of thrust will be the right combo for you. Don't get suckered into buying sealed gel batteries like the optimas either. Waste of money. The standard 27 or 29 case deep cycles will be the best for trolling motor batteries.

Good luck

View Postdespite what others will/may express, I would consider going a motorguide. Equal or better than the minn kota, it's now owned by mercury, quality is now top notch and you'll save about 25% of the MK price.

I have had both on my bass boats. Right now I have a Motorguide because that is what the boat came rigged with. Motorguide sucks compared to the Minnkotas.

View PostMotor guide has been owned by Mercury for along time. It really is the only reason that motorguide still exists. They are no where near the same quailty of Minn Kota. I used to do sales and service for both. I would see 20 motorguides before 1 minn kota. They are appealing for OEM because they are less money and for good reason. You'll get what you pay for in this case. I spent a lot of time ebaying motorguides that I took off of prerigged boats to replace with a Minn Kota.

Have owned both personally and not a chance I would ever buy another motor guide.

I am not a fan of the wireless from either company also not a fan of the powerdrive style mounts(takes two hands to depoy and retreive them). I prefer the heavy scissor mounts and a hand control (and I am a fly fisherman)

24V 80LB of thrust will be the right combo for you. Don't get suckered into buying sealed gel batteries like the optimas either. Waste of money. The standard 27 or 29 case deep cycles will be the best for trolling motor batteries.

Good luck

Everyone has their opinion, mercury acquired motorguide in 2003 ( may have been 04) I wouldn't call that a long time ago. Since acquireing the company MG was still produced in the same factory has it had been since the late 90s. It has only been in a last 2 years or so that the tolerances, designs, engineering & quality control and inspections-of mercury/brunswick has been implemented into todays product. As well as a complete overhaul of manufacturing by Mercury. mercury bought them to challenge MK and at the same time buy intelectual rights and patents that were owned by MG

Todays motorguide isn't anything like the MG of the past- it took them a little while to get ramped up. Some of the biggest advances in engineering in trolling motors is thru MG right now. Is it fair to judge on bad experiences from inferior product, crappy manufactureing/engineering and testing from an older model and apply that very same reasoning with today's product. It's certainly something to consider-but do your homework. I don't work for mercury or MG. I know people that own both the new MG and the MK.

Ditto on the gel batteries suggestion.

Once you go wireless, you'll never go back. You can fish in the rear of the boat (or anywhere) and move/steer the boat with out moving to the front. It doesn't limit you where you can fish on your boat and yet move your boat between and around rocks, ledge, boats, logs, docks, swimmers and lobster traps with ease.

View PostEveryone has their opinion, mercury acquired motorguide in 2003 ( may have been 04) I wouldn't call that a long time ago. Since acquireing the company MG was still produced in the same factory has it had been since the late 90s. It has only been in a last 2 years or so that the tolerances, designs, engineering & quality control and inspections-of mercury/brunswick has been implemented into todays product. As well as a complete overhaul of manufacturing by Mercury. mercury bought them to challenge MK and at the same time buy intelectual rights and patents that were owned by MG

Todays motorguide isn't anything like the MG of the past- it took them a little while to get ramped up. Some of the biggest advances in engineering in trolling motors is thru MG right now. Is it fair to judge on bad experiences from inferior product, crappy manufactureing/engineering and testing from an older model and apply that very same reasoning with today's product. It's certainly something to consider-but do your homework. I don't work for mercury or MG. I know people that own both the new MG and the MK.

Ditto on the gel batteries suggestion.

Once you go wireless, you'll never go back. You can fish in the rear of the boat (or anywhere) and move/steer the boat with out moving to the front. It doesn't limit you where you can fish on your boat and yet move your boat between and around rocks, ledge, boats, logs, docks, swimmers and lobster traps with ease.

Not that it really matter but Motorguide acquired by Brunswick in 1984. Brunswick acquired Mercury in 1961. I worked on motorguides in 2000-2005 they are junk in my opinion at best. Been to the same factory in Tulsa that they are still made in. Everyone has their opinion I guess. Sounds like you must have gotten one of the good ones.You should consider yourself lucky. Just don't bump it against anything. Once you do it will be loose, rattling, problem. Seems like they are ok as long as you never hit anythingcwm27.gif

almost.....

MotorGuide became part of Mercury Marine on December 31, 2002, ending a two-year period of restructuring that consolidated all MotorGuide operations in Tulsa, OK. The company was founded in 1961 in Jackson, MS and was acquired in 1984 by the Brunswick Corporation, Mercury's parent company.

View Postalmost.....

MotorGuide became part of Mercury Marine on December 31, 2002, ending a two-year period of restructuring that consolidated all MotorGuide operations in Tulsa, OK. The company was founded in 1961 in Jackson, MS and was acquired in 1984 by the Brunswick Corporation, Mercury's parent company.

Not almost. Exactly. They put the name under mercury. Who cares? They are still made in Tulsa by the same people as before. Both are owned by brunswick. Same crap, they just hoped the mercury name might make people think they are better. I guess it workedwink.gif

If they were and independent company they would never survive. It would be like trying to decide between a Regulator or a Carolina skiff with the priced difference only being a couple hundred dollars. No brainer. Again they are appealing for OEM because they are cheap for the manufacturer. But what do I know. I only do this for a livingwink.gif

Tight lines

Poster made the right choice. So I am done with this thread.