Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMacLeod

Genealogy question

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about genealogy? I am trying to figure How I am related to my grandfathers' cousins children. (they are in their 50s now so aren't children) Off spring just seemed like the wrong word.

Is there any blood relation or is it something like second cousin once ?

View PostIt seems like you have already figured out how your related to them. They are your grandfather's cousin's kids.. smile.gif

Yes but are they actually related to me ? (I realize if ya go back far enough everyone shares a common ancestor)

The reason I ask is I am in the process of getting my clearance to work at a nuclear plant. I used them as references and when the agency called them, one of the questions was; "Are you related to him?" The answer provided was" his grandfather is my uncle" Even though he isn't their uncle atleast not directly.

He (my grandfather) took the brothers (there are 3 total) under his wing and brought them hunting and fishing when they were growing up. (their father died young) I hunted and fished them for years as well.

View PostThe closest tie between you and your Grandfather's cousin's kids is this:

Your great-great-great grandfather is their grandfather.

headscratch.gif There is only 8 years age difference between us...

Maybe; my great, great grandfather is their great grandfather.

View PostI made a little map so we can see what we're talking about.

Does this look right?

Attachment 228695

not quite but that is pretty good. From what my grandfather says, he and Jeff's (one of the brothers) mother shared the same grandfather.

My grandfather is on my mothers side.

I can't follow you. Then again, I can't follow my own family tree. Whenever I see my relatives from over in Ireland, my mom has to explain to me who they are and how we're related.

My suggestion is to sit down and write a little family tree like the one I made. Then, once you know their precise positions in the tree, you can figure it out easier.

The point is since Jeff answered the question the way he did it disallowed him as a reference.

Using the family tree idea Dick Cheney is related to Barack Obama. Yet if you asked either if they were related they would most likely deny it.headscratch.gif

Next week when I go for training I will explain it if asked.

Right. That's a shame. I would never use my brother as a reference but I have some distance cousins that would vouch for me. The bond isn't so tight that they'd do anything dishonest or lie to help me out but they know me.

It sounds like this Jeff fella knows you more in a professional way than a family way. I think you're his Second Cousin twice removed but don't quote me on that because I'm not sure exactly where he is positioned in the tree still.

View PostRight. That's a shame. I would never use my brother as a reference but I have some distance cousins that would vouch for me. The bond isn't so tight that they'd do anything dishonest or lie to help me out but they know me.

It sounds like this Jeff fella knows you more in a professional way than a family way. I think you're his Second Cousin twice removed but don't quote me on that because I'm not sure exactly where he is positioned in the tree still.

Actually no. I think he just answered the way he did as always refering to my grandfather as "uncle Roy". I've used him and Gary before and never had a problem. They make great references as one is a VP with the YMCA and the other is a Police Chief. We've hunted and fished together for over 30 years.

View PostYou are related to them.. They are your 2nd cousins.

Ok, so that means Cheney is related to Obama right?

In other words where is the line drawn?