Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capemaykid

custom molded kayak

10 posts in this topic

couldnt find what i wanted so i made it! im cleaning up the mold to minimize the labor factor to keep the price down.The sky is the limit when it comes to graffics,my next one is going to be shadowgrass camo with a flat clearcoat over.I like to duck hunt as much as fish.This is yak #2 out of the mold,i made it for a local kid.It was 42 lbs, not bad for a fiberglass molded 12 footer.Im very pleased with its stability and it tracks great.All coments welcome, good and bad!!

Nice job. Can you tell us a little about how you went about making the mold. Any pics of the mold you used would be great. Every thought about making a SOT?

I started with a wooden frame and planked it with plywood to make the plug.A lot of putty and sanding later i buffed it,waxed it,sprayed tooling gelcoat onit and layed it up with fiberglass.Kind of like makin an ice cube tray to make ice cubes.

I did something like this for a sailboat. It's a really cool method to build boats and I've never seen it applied to a kayak.

The way I'm most familiar with kayak building is stitch and glue. It's simpler but the down side is that you're limited to how the wood will bend. Our method was a mix of both wood plank and fiberglass. We used some veneers to firm up the belly a little.

The method Capemay is using is awesome. You can bend the fiberglass cloth around all sorts of angles.

Did you vacuum bag it or just let it set up out in the open?

Traditional layup is alot easier for something like this although i have done some vacume molds for different things. This is a backyard project,hoby you could say,not a cheap one but i guess i could be spending my money on worse things.

After i alter the mold to make things go together smoother im thinking something like 500 and then whatever graffics you want.The weight reflects the material price,gelcoat is 50 dollars a gallon rightnow(2 gallons per boat)(5 gallons of resin in a light one 40lbs or so) thats another 100 dollars 40 or 50 in cloth plus all the back pain(priceless) its still cheaper than plastic and they ride alot better and last forever