Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Early season fly fishing. Line preferences?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Early season pond fishing, which do you guys prefer, a full sinking line, standard flies, or floating lines, and weighted flies?

I was throwing a sinking Airflo on a 5wt the past couple days, and I forgot what a PIA a full sinking line can be.

I think full sink lines are easier from the water link in boat, canoe or float tube. From shore I use an intermediate or a sink tip and bring a reel spooled up with a floater just in case.

I like the SA Striped Bass Intermediate line...casts nicely almost like a floater good for fishing streamers in shallow water. I'm not sure if there are different densities of this line...

I use a SA full sinking line. When I throw weighted flys on relatively light leaders, the leaders take a beating. I'm sure it is my bad form but it is probably not going to get better.

I throw a sink tip line 9 out of 10 days on the trout rivers up here, even through the good hatches.

Ditto on the ponds.

The splash of the sink tip, and obnoxiously large fly, seem to keep the little guys off the end of my linesmile.gif