Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfGuy85

tracking problems

11 posts in this topic

hey everyone, i have been padaling my OK xt around for a while now and im well aware of its poor tracking. in open waters of a bay or off a beach it is less of an issue for me but when river or lake fishing it does become a bother. with some wind it only compounds the issue, everything else about the boat is everything i really need out of a first yak however i was wondering what i could do to imporove the tracking. is there any option to installing a rudder or skeg? i have herd the use of a drift sock also helps but i want something that will help it track better while padaling as well.

thanks

anthony.

It may be the kayak, but most tracking problems I have seen have been the paddler. Do you have a quality paddle and did you ever receive any paddling instruction or coaching?

no i havent and my padal is something like 40 bucks. its cheap compared to some better ones i saw. but its not so much my padaling thats the problem but when i put my padal down and the boat continues to turn 90 degrees. i imagine a rudder would disapate the problem but idk how i could manage installing one on a scrambler xt

Thats not a tracking problem, its a loading problem. A rudder won't help. You need to load the yak so one end doesn't present more surface to the wind than the other end. If you're a heavy guy and have a lot of stuff in a milk crate behind you then the front end of the yak is always going to weathervane. In fact, its always going to weathervane some no matter what you do. Scramblers are good boats that track well for their length.

ohh i see, thanks for clearing the air on that. im light for the boat at 160 and dont really carry much gear. it is my first kayak so itmight just take some more geting used to. thanks for the correction

If there is a wind coming from the side than it would not be unusual for a kayak to turn in the wind. There is also a delicate balance in how much wheight you appply to the right and left ass cheek. Expert kayaks use their butts to start turns.

it happend when there was no wind present. its not a problem in lake or bay/ocean waters as i can quickly correct the turn by draging the padal a bit on the oposite side. in a slow moving river environment it obviously becomes more of an issue. not a big deal i was just curous as to any possoble fixes or maybe improper technique on my part.