Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rlyman1

help with rod/reel combo

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey all, i just gotta say this place is great wish i found it sooner. Here's my question I'm looking at purchasing a rod/reel that I can use for plugging with very light bait use mainly off of jetties and the surf.

So here is what I've narrowed it down to:

<ROD>

TICA DOLPHIN 9ft Medium action surfspin $110ish

<REEL>

Penn Slammer 460 or 560 $150ish

Quantum cabo 40 or 50 $220ish

Quantum boca 40 or 50 $140ish

Please let me know what you guys think and if anyone knows which size reel would be better that would be a big help. Thanks in advance

As we don't know your budget it's tough to give advice on the rod.

If money wasn't an issue I would probably chose a Lamiglas Super Surf 9", (2Pc.), 3/8 to 2 ounce. Even though it is a bit more money than the Tica it is probably a rod you won't out grow & enjoy for plugs on the lighter side for a long while.

That's not to say that the Tica isn't a good "value" as well as the Tsunami line of rods.

Re the reel choice, the best way is to actually put the reel on the rod & feel if it balances out holding it with your finger a bit ahead of the reel seat s a fulcrum.

A qulity bait & tackle shop should very helpful with making your decision.

Best of luck on your choice.

Will

View Post

A qulity bait & tackle shop should very helpful with making your decision.

Will

the online store may be even better and you can feel free to ask questions of the proprietor as well icon14.gif

Considering I was fairly vague in my first post ill add to it slightly.

Budget for both rod and reel=around 300

when walking the jetty of Barnegat inlet I usually carry two poles:

1. 8ft okuma Medium heavy with okuma avenger 30lbspowerpro
  • Mainly used for bait to heavy to throw plugs all day

• For such a cheap setup works well for landing gator blues on rocks

• Will continue to carry this
  1. 7ft light Piece of redface.gifredface.gif (on sale for $12)
  • used to throw metal and fin-s (herring, weakfish, small blues)

• on its way to the trash
When surf fishing the beach

1. (2) 12ft okuma beefsticks with okuma avengers 40lb powerpro
  • These are my go to sticks for surf pull in just about everything
As you can see none of my setups are very quality but they work for me and anything i buy will be a huge upgrade. So what im trying to add is a pole that I can use both in the surf and off the jetty which anyone who knows barnegat light will tell you that can sometimes get quite rough.

Rod Requirements:

• 9 ft 2 peice- I like the 9 foot because it gives me the added length on the rocks and will also help with those longer distance casts on the beach.

• Id like to use this pole mainly for fluke, weakfish, blues,schoolies but want the security to know that if i hook into something a little bigger (say a 15-20lb blue) ill be able to land it

• Weight wise the majority of my plugs are in the 1-2oz range the larger ones i can use my 8ft to throw
Reel Requirements:

• something that will fit the rod well

• Penn slammer- tough reel seems very smooth after trying one

• Quantum cabo/boca i like these for there excellent drag system but am worried that they will not last like the penn
Thanks for all of your help, ive been fishing since I was two years old and never acquired a nice setup because i figured that Id have to replace it in two years just like very other pole i have.

View PostThanks for all of your help, ive been fishing since I was two years old and never acquired a nice setup because i figured that Id have to replace it in two years just like very other pole i have.

With a budget of $300 you can get some solid equipment that'll last way beyond 2 years unless you beat the crap out of it.

I agree with all the rod recommendations, might also look at St. Croix - I've got a few that get the job done but you - as well as the Tsunami Air Wave (I'm pretty sure they make a 9ftr). But you can't go wrong with Lamiglas.

For reels, you might also consider Shimano Stradic (4000 or 5000, but probably 4000 - I tend to prefer lighter stuff).

One last thing is, unless you only buy new stuff, you can get very good deals on used equipment here on the B/S/T Forum. I've bought both rods and reels and with the exception of one occasion my expectations have been exceeded as far as condition goes.

I have a 9 footTsunami 902MH Airwave paired with a Shimano Spheros 8000 reel. It's rated for 1 to 3 1/4. This is my first and for now only surf casting set up. It's well balanced and light weight. In my rookie opinion it's perfect for throwing plugs, metals, and bucktails.

I'm just starting out and need some advise. I recieved a shak ugly stick light tackle and i want to use it mainly for baby blues and fluke. what kinda reel (under $40) and line (doesn't matter how much) should i use ??

Tica is a great value. The cabo 50 is too heavy for a 9' rod. I have one on a 9' tsunami. My cabo does not handle sand or salt well.

i have the same budget as you do for a rod and reel setup. and it seems a lot of the guys on here make a lot more money than i do. yes the st. croix's and loomis's will last and are strong. but not all of us can afford this equipment. and due to some family problems my fishing gear fund has been drained. so now i'm back to looking for the best in budget fishing gear.

i've been looking at the boca's and cabo's myself. i did end up getting a good deal on a yellow nautil 6500. so i jumped at that. i plan on getting a tsunami or a tica this weekend for my rod. i think i'll get my best bang for my buck with these rods. i will in the future probably get a boca or cabo for a second set up. but for now i'm happy with what i've been able to get.

if you want light i would go with the tsunami airwave 9'. i do believe you can get this rod for under $100. also there are some nice rods on this site's store for a reasonable price.

also watch the bst's or post on the bst's what you are looking for. you never know someone might have what you want.