Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smulax

2 part fuel tank question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a 12 gal plastic portable fuel tank ( the red ones that everyone has) that a mouse chewed a hole in. it is at the top corner, right on the corner it is about the size of a quarter. Is there anyway to fix it? Or should I just deep six the thing and get another one.

If I replace above mentioned tank with a fixed model can I use it with an outboard that takes mix gas. I figure yes because the trailering and launchig would be enough movement to thoroughly mix the oil and gas. but I am not sure of other problems since I have only used the portable small 6 gal cans. Or I could stay with 3 6 gal portables.

Thanks

Mike

How much is a new 12 gal. plastic tank? 50 bucks? I'm sure your old tank could be patched but why bother. On the water, miles from shore and fuel leaking. I don't want my gear and rig soaked and reeking with gas much less the fire risk. Try and fix the old one then keep it for a spare.

Any fuel tank, including the "fixed" models, should be just fine for mixed gas. You'd be surprised to learn just how little shakin' and mixing is required with 2 cycle. It's not salad dressing.

My 2 cents smile.gif

View PostHow much is a new 12 gal. plastic tank? 50 bucks? I'm sure your old tank could be patched but why bother. On the water, miles from shore and fuel leaking. I don't want my gear and rig soaked and reeking with gas much less the fire risk. Try and fix the old one then keep it for a spare.

Any fuel tank, including the "fixed" models, should be just fine for mixed gas. You'd be surprised to learn just how little shakin' and mixing is required with 2 cycle. It's not salad dressing.

Exactly what Shad said! But I'll add something to it... 3ea, 6g tanks are fine if they fit well in the space in the boat where they are stored/used. If an 18g fits better, the go with it. It will actually take up less space. Lots of different styles to chose from when chosing a permanent tank.

If you try to fix it, how about leaving your stereo to me?

Multiple smaller tanks gives you a number of advantages: among them, the ability to have gas from several sources.

Thanks guys I will ditch it. and I have decided after numerous hours measuring and staring at the bilge where the tanks go to use the 6 gal portables.