Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tobias

Reel for guests

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hoping to take my father and father-in-law out more fishing this coming year and want them to be able to use a quality spinning outfit. I have the rods covered but need a suggestion as to what reel to put on the rods. I want a nice reel that will cast well, has a nice drag and a bail that won't close on the cast. I was thinking a Quantum Cabo. Would like to hear suggestions. Thanks!

Your nicer than me. I usually give the in-laws the Wal-Mart bought rods and reels.

To your question. There are many options it will just come down to how much you are willing to spend. Many Shimano and Daiwa options that would be good and not too expensive. Maybe even a Penn Sargus. Of course a Quantum Cabo is a good reel too.

Good Lucksmile.gif

If your looking for an inexpensive reel for guests or to use as a backup you cant go wrong with the Okuma Spinners. They are relitavely inexpensive and I find them to be very reliable. I actually have one I used to keep on my boat as a backup but my Shimano needed repair and I started using it and havent stopped. Its been 3 seasons now and I keep it on the boat in the marina and its held up great. I think its called the Salina SA-55. Well under 100$ most places.

View PostYour nicer than me. I usually give the in-laws the Wal-Mart bought rods and reels.

To your question. There are many options it will just come down to how much you are willing to spend. Many Shimano and Daiwa options that would be good and not too expensive. Maybe even a Penn Sargus. Of course a Quantum Cabo is a good reel too.

Good Lucksmile.gif

MAYBE a Daiwa BG would be a good choice for his guests.

Tough workhorse reel.

View PostHoping to take my father and father-in-law out more fishing this coming year and want them to be able to use a quality spinning outfit. I have the rods covered but need a suggestion as to what reel to put on the rods. I want a nice reel that will cast well, has a nice drag and a bail that won't close on the cast. I was thinking a Quantum Cabo. Would like to hear suggestions. Thanks!

Shimano Spheros. I'm not sure about the bail situation, but you can show them how to position the handle so that the bail doesn't trip accidentally, if there is not a bailless conversion for it...

inexpensive, well built metal body, with a good drag, and can get splashed and rinsed off without crapping out. I'd seriously look into this, with either mono or the original Fireline for ease of use.

Any spinner will run the risk of bail closure so I suggest that you always show them how to position the handle.

I like yellow Nautils for my kids and guests. They are impervious to sand/water. With intermittent use they will last. Just oil up the line roller bearings after use.