Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Whats the coolest thing youve learned over the last year (fishing related)

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I ask this because over the last year, I learned how to fish with a spey rod. it perfect for fishing the salmon river, in upstate NY in the frigid winter months. No stripping of line, keeps your hands warm and guides ice free and most importantly, your fly in the water. AFter using in the river, my mind spins and wonders where else can I take advantage of my new "tool". Inlets? creek entrances? moving water near bridges? water moving over sand bars. its opened up a whole new world of fishing to me. pretty cool.

what have you guys learned over the last year that you look forward to this year???

Bc

View PostThey look like they will catch fish to me. Take pride in your work.

compaired to the guys stuff who showed me how yes their basic/crappy if i have time next winter thell be somewhat better,i didnt say i didnt like them,but for now crappy and minesmile.gif

like bernie, I also learned to make lures. Ill finally have a batch finished possibly today. I look forward to fishing them this season and hopefully catch that monster cow with one of my homemades.

By the way Bernie, thats some nice looking stuff you made. very impressive.

I was just saying they looked good to me, a whole lot better then some I've seen. And yes they are yours, which is all the better when they catch you that big ole cow.

Bought a video on how to rig eels. I know there's good info here on how to do it but a pictures worth a thousand words. Can't wait to give it a try. Thinking about some south shore jetties right now.....

View Posthow to make my own lures

I'd certainly fish them.

Minor differences make all the difference to the fish (or so we think). Catch a few big ones and half the guys in the forum will copy it, plus 25 plastics shops in China will have knockoffs in all the B&Ts. Imagine what the first guy who made a needle was probably thinking: "boy, not very good, that skinny little thing won't cast for nothing, and it'll break on the first good fish." Or the first guy who said "oh poo, I made this pencil too heavy and it won't float. . ."

I want to learn to use a spey rod!! It definately sounds perfect for the salmon river, that along with fly fishing in general are on my to do list this season. As for now, I read Z's first book, and although I cant list off everything I definately gained some awsome knowledge from it. Especially as a young angler who has not had all of that experience with a few of the lures such as needlefish, which im dieing to catch on, although i will be spending much of my time bouncing jigs at the ditch as well as castin plugssmile.gif

Even though I had a good spring, I learned so much more in the fall all of those little things that matter so much.Your presentation, lure speed etc all matter just as much in saltwater as they do on a wild trout stream.

P.S. thanks Zeno and all of you here at Sol

I learned that Sweetwater has more to teach me than Yoda had to teach Luke, but the lessons are similar...slow down and dont over think it. If you think you are reeling slow enough, slow down. Dont think about the plug, think like the plug. When you can snatch the Bomber from my hand, you may leave the temple.

I also learned that I am capable of restoring reels mechanically and cosmetically. I was always fairly sure of myself mechanically, but it took a few projects to be comfortable cosmetically...the following were my highlights of the year. All in all, pretty good year!

716.jpg

722.jpg

ABU12.jpg

(The Abu was originally red anondized with a silver cage.)