Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lbifly

New rod , need advice

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have an avet sx and I am looking for a rod that can handle 3/4-3oz. I will be fishing for flounder, stripers, blues. It's pretty much an all around bait and bucktail rod. I fish nj from a boat and Florida from bridges. My budget is 150 and would like some adivce. Thanks.

Alex

i have the 8 foot tsunami airwave surf rod, i would say the 9 foot one will work better for ur purpose. ignore the lure ratings on their, it is underrated.

seem good thigns abotu the tica ones too.

also st. croix tidemaster(i thinks that is what it is called) is like 8 foot and handles up to 3 ounces rated.

I have a 10ft. Tsunami conventional and 11 foot fish them on the Jersey Bridges take a but kicking great poles to beat up on Lemon heads and Tarpon in Fl. Pair with an ABU 7000i or 7000I c3 good to go. For your price range look at the Tsunami's well worth it shop hard enough can find them $80-$100. Stay away from the black Tica's tc2's don't have braided guides have one that had to be re wraped with new fuji's called them up they are cheap guides, their customer service guy told me they are not ment for braid. >>TICA = $ + Trash<<<

This is a great question, I have asked it myself this winter, got an Avet SX, but did not yet get the final answer. I put it on a $100 8 ft Quantum surf rod that I got cheap just to fool around with and it casts really well. The 8 surf is a nice length for the boat because it is only 7 ft from the reel seat to the tip and the thin handle is really comfortable. BUT, I think 1 piece is better, and 7 1/2 is a great length so I am looking at the St. Croix Tidemaster or Primier in fast action medium-heavy power. I am also looking at the inshore Lamiglass rods available in the SOL store, a bit more money. On the expensive end, I am looking at G Loomis, but they are now owned by Shimano and the quality may have changed. On the cheap end, I also have a $58 Ugly Stick Tiger, 1 piece 7' 9'' it called "lite action" (NOT Tiger Lite), 10 to 30 line, 1/2 to 2 lure, it is whippy on the tip but has a serious backbone. I have casted with this one too with the Avet, and it is very good. Like the surf rod, it has no trigger seat and I like this feature, but the handle is fat. You should be aware that the Avet will not fit on some rod seats with a trigger and flat top, Although Avet will sell you a new reel seat to fix this. The Avet is such a light powerful reel, that it belongs on a lite powerful rod. It can then tackle a lot of fish up to even small tuna or shark.

I should also say I like something that has a nice generous (not too short), comfortable (not too fat) fore-grip because that is where the rod is held for line leveling. I may go custom, as there is a B&T here that can make that rod in that price range. Another consideration is braid or mono? I started playing with 20 mono (the SX will hold about 220) and it casted great. Then I went to 50 braid (holds 300 yards) and it also casted great, but more care was needed to not overrun. I need to get some fish on to see which line I like better.