Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
New Jack

trout fishing

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anybody had luck with salmon since ice out? I have yet to hook up but ill be out all day tomorrow so hopefully i can latch on with a hog! I have been trying everything, live bait on one rod with eather blown up crawlers on the bottom to shiners on top, while tossing different sized and colored spoons on my other. Im itching to land one this spring, bunch of rainbows thus far though.

If it reads 'town/lake x' stocked week of March 16, 2009, is it safe to assume that body of water is stocked?

Also, do they stock in 'shifts', 'rounds' or whatever? For example, I live in metro west where I know of at least 5 lakes/ponds that they stock trout, yet the site only lists 2 of these places - does that mean the other three spots will be stocked during another round of stocking runs?

View PostIf it reads 'town/lake x' stocked week of March 16, 2009, is it safe to assume that body of water is stocked?

Also, do they stock in 'shifts', 'rounds' or whatever? For example, I live in metro west where I know of at least 5 lakes/ponds that they stock trout, yet the site only lists 2 of these places - does that mean the other three spots will be stocked during another round of stocking runs?

Yes...if the pond/lake/river is listed, then it was stocked that week...they update the site weekly, usually on Friday.....you will see your other waters listed as they stock them...you can also call 978-263-4347 for a recorded list of everything they stocked...remarkably efficient for a Mass state agency!wink.gif ....I've always had the same "shifts" aspect of your question myself....I think they have guidelines/formulas for certain ponds based on size and overall usage.... For instance I like to fish Pleasant pond in Hamilton, which is a small, sort of out of the way pond (maybe 40 acres?) and my retired, stocker-rat friends who fish there all day during the spring and are usually there for the stockings tell me they put anywhere from 200-300 fish in per stocking, usually 2 or 3 stockings per spring and usually one in the fall...I think the bigger, more accessable waters, i.e Walden, Jamaica Pond, get more fish and more stockings...either way I can't wait to get out...biggrin.gif ...this winter almost sent me over the edge!! eek.gif

Looks Like my frequent trout hole is yet to be stocked, but have been watching that site for a bit now..Man C'mon monday..day off..need to wet a line for a stockie..keep a couple for the frying pan. drool.gif

View PostYes...if the pond/lake/river is listed, then it was stocked that week...they update the site weekly, usually on Friday.....you will see your other waters listed as they stock them...you can also call 978-263-4347 for a recorded list of everything they stocked...remarkably efficient for a Mass state agency!wink.gif ....I've always had the same "shifts" aspect of your question myself....I think they have guidelines/formulas for certain ponds based on size and overall usage.... For instance I like to fish Pleasant pond in Hamilton, which is a small, sort of out of the way pond (maybe 40 acres?) and my retired, stocker-rat friends who fish there all day during the spring and are usually there for the stockings tell me they put anywhere from 200-300 fish in per stocking, usually 2 or 3 stockings per spring and usually one in the fall...I think the bigger, more accessable waters, i.e Walden, Jamaica Pond, get more fish and more stockings...either way I can't wait to get out...biggrin.gif ...this winter almost sent me over the edge!! eek.gif

he is right on the money.

After riding down to Cambridge to fish an electric plant outflow only to find no outflow 'flowin', I did a u-turn and headed back to the Natick/Framingham area to fish the 'big' local lake (site says it was stocked)...I had not realized that the first stocking would draw so much attention. Boat ramp area was loaded with fishermen - who were not catching (including me). And between all the fishermen, I think all bases were covered as some were floating shiners, worms, powerbait and as for me, I was slinging around a small kastmaster...Then a boat started cruising the area and I split...

View Post^^^Lake Cochituate? hear the fishing there is actually pretty good? When does wachusett open back up, April 1??

I think it's the first weekend in April, unless ice delays the opening (which I assume isn't going to be a concern this year)...