Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

Well, here it is............can they sue ?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Can the employees of AIG sue the United States Congress to keep their monies ?

Maybe someone needs to round up our elected loosers and hold them accountable and responsible for their gross neglegence and mismanagement of our funds.

What say you ?

View PostCan the employees of AIG sue the United States Congress to keep their monies ?

Maybe someone needs to round up our elected loosers and hold them accountable and responsible for their gross neglegence and mismanagement of our funds.

What say you ?

They can.

Discriminatory use of the tax code as a punitive, political weapon will be frowned upon by the courts.

Abrogation of employment compensation contracts doesn't please the courts either. (Not in this context)

This from reporters who report on legal issues.

View PostI've always believed it was unconstitutional to pass a retroactive law. I guess I was sadly mistaken. Still don't think it's a very good idea, though.

It will not be a retroactive tax, assuming the bonuses were paid in 2009, the tax will be due on their 2009 tax returns due next April.

First mistake is think Congress feels they need to follow the law. They are far more interested in trying to look like they may have a clue. In the end this bill will end up costing us more than 160 million. Normally you would expect the Senate to act like adults be this time they also need to hide that this is their fault too.

View PostI've always believed it was unconstitutional to pass a retroactive law. I guess I was sadly mistaken. Still don't think it's a very good idea, though.

A retroactive law is also called an EX POST FACTO law.

That's the fancy name for a retroactive law.

No matter what you call it, such laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

View PostFirst mistake is think Congress feels they need to follow the law. They are far more interested in trying to look like they may have a clue. In the end this bill will end up costing us more than 160 million. Normally you would expect the Senate to act like adults be this time they also need to hide that this is their fault too.

Agree.

Much of Congress' antics are show for constituents.

A deception by a blameworthy Congress to shift blame away from itself.

Passage of this law today maybe unconstitutional...............will they sue congress or single out Dodd and the Treasury Sec. ?

What does a law like this mean for others special groups they can focus in on ?

First they gave the money and then try to take it back.......sounds like a Fed law Suit in the making to me.

This action sure acts as a great incentive to work harder for your company and get it back on track..

If the goverment truely wanted AIG to succeed, they wouldnt have done this.

I dont like seeing the bonuses go out, but it was only 1% of the bailout money.

Sure looks unconstitutional to me. Take a look:

A bill of attainder (also known as an act or writ of attainder) is an act of legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without benefit of a trial. Bills of attainder are forbidden by Article I, section 9, clause 3 of the United States Constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder

Nice move , congress. Not only have they pissed on the spark of economic recovery, this tax is another disincentive to succeed. Like it or not, the AIG folks have a legal right to their bonuses and the fact that congress bent to the wishes of the lynch mob screaming for blood is just pathetic! When the lawsuits begin, we as taxpayers are going to foot the bill, we also paid for the bonuses, so in effect we will be suing ourselves, and paying for the privilege. What a crock of crap, served up to us by the Deomkrat Party.

YES THEY CAN.............Sue!!!!!

and you can bet every last dollar they WILL sue...

and this will cost the taxpayers a LOT more than what the congress has its panties in a bunch over.

and as a guy who works under a union CONTRACT if these employees had this money coming to them CONTRACTUALLY I hope they win....

The CONTRACT is the basis of everything that happens in this country...it is what makes us different from a banana republic ( well that and the snow )