17 Fireball

Rate this topic

binkthefisher

View PostThat one was eatin size!

I got a good deal on an XP-100 with the specific intent to build a 17 MK-IV in, I think '85? Very clean gun, but very ugly!(I had visions of a ss Shilen #5, Jewell trigger, fancy maple stock etc.)

Of course I had to shoot it (already had an extended eye relief scope)

NOTHING!

OK, now I've got a puzzle (God help me!) Long story somewhat shortened, It likes 45 gn Hornady "Bee" bullets at around 2750 fps Very Much! (another rifle project gone astray)

I now have a very ugly, very accurate, Buck Rogers looking, 200 yd groudhog eliminator.

I'm now thinking Mini MK X, since they're available again (any feedback?)

I have 3 17's, 2 in 17-222, 1 in 17-223 (prior to 17 REM)

My favorite is a #1 17-222 factory contour with the rib reinstalled, Leopold VX-3 2.5-8. A great carry rifle, 1/2" all day long with The Hornady 25gn V-Max and H4895. Groundhog go Bye-Bye.

The MK X is nice, but it is hard to beat the single shot XP Action for the 'small stuff'.

If you like the .17's, look into a .17CCM. Think of it as a reloadable .17Hrm.

I tend to swing from one extreme to another with rifles. The last one I built was a 338-378 KT Improved on a Bat Action. This Fall will hopefully be a 38 Super case necked to .12 in a 17" Contender Carbine Barrel. Looks like what you would get by shrinking a .223 Wssm. Clymer is doing the Reamer now, then off to Forrester for Forming and Reloading Dies and Corbin for Bullet Dies.

View PostI wish I took that picture- Google image search for "17 fireball"

I was curious as I have been thinking about something like this for plinking..

Get something in .22 LR.

Everything about a .17 is a pain in the ass! Bullets (this has gotten somewhat better), cleaning (whippy assed rods that bend, even the best of them) etc,etc,etc.

GO BACK NOW, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE !

(You don't realy need to cross that 4000fps line, do yuh?)

powerless

View PostThe MK X is nice, but it is hard to beat the single shot XP Action for the 'small stuff'.

I tend to swing from one extreme to another with rifles. The last one I built was a 338-378 KT Improved on a Bat Action. This Fall will hopefully be a 38 Super case necked to .12 in a 17" Contender Carbine Barrel. Looks like what you would get by shrinking a .223 Wssm. Clymer is doing the Reamer now, then off to Forrester for Forming and Reloading Dies and Corbin for Bullet Dies.

Thanks,

Re: the CCM, kind of went that way a while ago with a 591 5mm and the Schroeder CF conversion. Another pain in the ass! No .204 bullets (at that time) Corbin dies to swage them out of .224's (or buy them, swaged from Schroeder), turned brass, finicky,finicky,finicky(Oh my God, The room's starting to spin!)

powerless

View PostThanks,

Re: the CCM, kind of went that way a while ago with a 591 5mm and the Schroeder CF conversion. Another pain in the ass! No .204 bullets (at that time) Corbin dies to swage them out of .224's (or buy them, swaged from Schroeder), turned brass, finicky,finicky,finicky(Oh my God, The room's starting to spin!)

Come on, admit it, you had fun, right? smile.gif

View PostThe MK X is nice, but it is hard to beat the single shot XP Action for the 'small stuff'.

I looked at the KT, A BEAST! What' wrong with the Lapua or the 340 WBY? Oh that's right, you like strange rifles.

I like my mid calibers a little slower (and in a standard length action). Several 35 Whelens and 350 Rem Mags.

I've had some bigger 338s and got rid of them (they're kind of hard on a little fellow like me) I have one shotted (is that a word?) some dangerous stuff with the afore mentioned.

.12? You're a masochist!

powerless

View PostAnybody play with this yet? ~4000fps?

FWW? WalkinJack? Lichum? FishinAmbition?

Here's some info on the new .17.

spacer.gif

It's time you warmed up to 4,000 fps velocities, extreme accuracy and less cleaning. The next generation of small-caliber performance is here for 2007. The Remington-exclusive 17 Remington Fireball. It breaks the 4,000 fps barrier with one of the smallest powder charges ever, this means less fouling and more shots between cleanings. It's a super-efficient case design that, when matched with our 20-grain AccuTip-V, shoots flatter than a 22-250 Remington 55-grain loading. Plus, there's virtually no recoil or muzzle jump, so you never lose sight of your target. Based on the 17 Mach IV wildcat (a necked-down version of our 221 Remington Fireball) which has been a favorite for several years due to its inherent speed and accuracy, we're proud to say we've made the design a little better, and made it our own. The new 17 Remington Fireball

[/quote

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

My brother has the 17 Fireball and the .204

17 nominal range 125 yards

Rim fire

.204 nominal range 300+ yards

Center fire

In my opinion the .204 is a much better cartridge "reaching out there" and you can reload it...a big plus.

"Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios" Sam Stone / John Prine

View PostMy brother has the 17 Fireball and the .204

17 nominal range 125 yards

Rim fire

.204 nominal range 300+ yards

Center fire

In my opinion the .204 is a much better cartridge "reaching out there" and you can reload it...a big plus.

17 FIREBALL isnt a rimfire, you're thinking the 17hmr, or 17 mach2( these two are rimfires, based on 22mag and 22lr)

• 3 weeks later...

Bink,

I have owned and shot 17 Cals on a regular basis before they were cool.

I have a 17 Javelina which is just a touch above the 17 Fireball, a 17/222 improved, which is about as much as the 17 bullet can use, and a 17 Remington, all of which are built on Sako Vixen actions. They are superbly accurate and very deadly to small game and varmints within their limitations.

Way back in the 50's and 60's these were the inovations (read playtoys) of some rather remarkable wildcatters...Atkinson and Marquart, P.O. Ackley and the Walker Brothers. The Walkers realized their dreams by landing a contract with the Government, convincing them that they could research nose cone designs through bullet shapes at many time the speed of sound and using high speed photography to prove the results. They also used 14 Cal., !2 Cal., 10 Cal., they made their own barrels, bullets and anything else that they needed, all at the governments expense and subsidized their habit of shooting, gunsmithing and benchrest shooting. Just for the record, they held several benchrest records in their day and made some of the finest barrels known to man, the last batch of which I bought from Dave Walkers wife shortly after his death, along with much of their tooling, dies, reamers, lathes, brass and bullets.

When Remington came out with the 17 Remington, the gun writers put the last few nails in the 17 Cal coffin by lauding that they burn barrels and become inaccurate after just a few rounds due to copper fouling, and as well, the writers said that there was nothing that you could do with a 17 Rem that couldn't be done better with a 22-250 or the likes., some of which is true, most is not.

I love to be able to shoot a groundhog, coyote, crow and the likes, and be able to see the bullet do it's job, because there is so little recoil that you don't come off the target when the gun fires. I urge you to explore the 17 cal at whatever level that you desire. As long as you use it for it's intended purpose and within the confines of it's power/range...you will asolutely love it.

View PostI've had some bigger 338s and got rid of them (they're kind of hard on a little fellow like me)

Pfft, muzzle brake and they're not bad.

Cry after LM105. cwm27.gif

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?