Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Corned beef hash

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My kids LOVE it!

Took the leftover cabbage, carrots, turnips, onions and potatoes form the boiled dinner and placed in a large pot over medium low heat and cooked for about an hour stirring often so the bottom wouldn't scorch. I added salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. When all the veggies were very warm and softened I mashed them using a hand masher, then added the left over corned beef which I diced into small pieces. Then I let it cook until it was hot, again stirring so it wouldn't scorch, served it with fried eggs and english muffins. heart.gif

What I miss?

Or how do you make yours?

I take the potatoes out, slice them and brown them and the carrots in olive oil, add in the corned beef and brown some more, add in fresh onions and brown some move, add in other vegies from the boiled dinner. When fully heated through, cover with shredded chedar cheese, top with sunnyside up eggs and serve with rye toast

Steve

View PostDid I stump even Steven. cwm13.gif

That would be Stephen, John 'O....tongue.gifwink.gif

While Donna loves good CBH, I don't make it often......if I did, mine would just be the potatoes, some diced onion, and the corned beef (pulled, sort of like pulled pork), maybe a bit of minced garlic, salt and pepper.....she wouldn't go for the carrots, parsnips, and cabbage in it.........put in a pan with some olive oil and butter, and don't fuss with it too much.....stirring and such too often doesn't allow the potatoes and onions to brown correctly.

For me, I would add some finely diced red bell pepper, and maybe a bit of a hot pepper...

Here's mine

My Hashbrowns...

#1- Bake four big taters the day before . Cool them. Over night

#2- Dice one large onion and fry slowly until completely caramelized. This can be done the day before too.

#3- Fry, cool, and crumble 6 slices of bacon.

#4- Peel, slice, and fry taters on med. heat. Add bacon and onions to taters and heat thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.

Omit half the bacon and add leftover Corned Beef for Corned Beef Hash

View PostMy kids LOVE it!

Took the leftover cabbage, carrots, turnips, onions and potatoes form the boiled dinner and placed in a large pot over medium low heat and cooked for about an hour stirring often so the bottom wouldn't scorch. I added salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. When all the veggies were very warm and softened I mashed them using a hand masher, then added the left over corned beef which I diced into small pieces. Then I let it cook until it was hot, again stirring so it wouldn't scorch, served it with fried eggs and english muffins. heart.gif

What I miss?

Or how do you make yours?

thanks john- i would have never thought of making hash

i sauteed an onion, put slabs of corned beef in the food processor and pulsed till coarse

then riced the potatoes, made some patties, and cooked them up in a cast iron skillet

even lisa liked it, and she claimed she didn't

gonna make 4 more and freeze them

Boiled potatoes and corned beef go through the hand grinder, mix w chopped yellow onion, s&P, melt bacon grease, and cook over med low heat till brown, flip and brown other side. Serve w poached eggs over top and toast or english muffins.

I take the left over corned beef, shred it up, mash it up with the leftover potatoes and some carmelized onions and form it into thin "hamburger" patties. I then put a real good char both sides in a cast iron pan (preferably in a little bacon grease), then use it to make breakfast sandwiches with over easy eggs on rye bread or english muffins. I think i look forward to it more than the initial boiled dinner. We eat boiled dinner fairly often, but usually with a smoked shoulder rather than a corned beef.

well I made mine from my previous posted recipe, something was missing so I pulled out the grinder and sent it through. Voila tasted great refried and browned as in patties. Made enough for the next few days.