Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

Can you read a fish finder when wearing polarized sunglasses?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I've always noticed that I can't read a lot of lcd screens (like many of the credit card scanners used at stores) while wearing polarized glasses...

Are fish finders designed so that this won't be a problem? Or is it a problem with some, but not others? attachment.php?attachmentid=78706&d=1195

I suspect you're going to have a hard time reading anything with an LCD, regardless of the manufacturer. You could try covering it with some anti-glare material (similar to what you'd use on a computer monitor), only trouble is that would probably make the screen too dark to be read with sunglasses anyway.

Perhaps someone should invent a fish-finder/GPS/cell phone with a plasma screen. wink.gif

Polarized glasses block the display when looking at certain angles, tilt your head as suggested above.

Take two pair of polarized glasses and hold one in each hand horizontaly so you can look through one lens of both pair at one time. Turn each pair so the angle of the lens goes from horizontal to a 45 degree angle.

Tell me what happens.cwm15.gif

Polarized lenses have some type of horizontal lines imbedded in them, as such you should be able to read a polarized anti-glare screen as long as your glasses are parallel to the screen. The more you turn your head the less that you can see, up to 90 degrees. Go past 90 degrees and it starts to increase again.

It will depend if your standing left, right, or center of the screen and it will make it even harder to see the LCD screen with glasses on if the screen has an anti-glare coating.....

Our FF screen had an anti-glare coating. From someone putting their grimy fingers on the screen while our boat was in it's slip the anti-glare coating got all messed up. I just went ahead and removed the coating using plastic polish. Much better to not have the anti-glare than one that is all smudged....

John