Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clouserkid1

Anybody ever.................

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

View Posttye so much they want to be sick like after 100 tail hooks in 24 hours?

Yes...my only forray into commercial tying happened about 15 years ago when a tackle shop owner wanted 100 each of deceivers and clousers. He actually hadn't wanted them so soon but didn't specify that. So I busted my can (as well as blew a weekend) getting them doneredface.gif

View Posttye so much they want to be sick like after 100 tail hooks in 24 hours?

I have this ADHD thing. About 4 flies a night is all you'll get out of me.

By the way, that guy was dirt broke and didn't have the money to pay me, so he gave me a Penn 2.5 fly reel - this one (that's still catching fish - whenever I catch a fish with it, I remember that weekend biggrin.gif )

Been asked a few times to tie for different shops but refused! I tie for the love of it! I tie when & what I want! I worked 30yrs for UPS & have been retired for 4 yrs in April! I do what I want,When I want! I paid my Dues! Now it's my time to Play! biggrin.gif

I have gotten to the point that I can tie two flies that look the same, but I also have taken a week to tie a single fly. When ever I went to the basement I would do a step or half a step.

Peace

funny i've entertained the thought of tying for local shops and it's not worth it i rather just tye for fun, the only flies i tied to sell were 14" bunker flies that took about 20 minutes to tie $5 in materials and i sold for $20 a pop

funny though Dave Skok was telling me how he had an order for like 1,000-2,000 flies and he tied for 14 hrs a day for a month to fill the order, and rabbit fur was flying all over the room cwm31.gifcwm31.gif

You guys ever visit David Nelson's web-page? I love his philosophy on selling his flies. I have adopted the same attitude and do not think I would ever want to sell my work in any large quantities.

As is, a local (the only) shop wants me to tie common Spey patterns, but are not willing to compensate me well enough for my time. I will not sacrifice quality for quantity and at the prices I am being offered, would have to do just that. No thanks.

Like Gilbey's Snake Flies (YUM), I consider gifting my flies akin to issuing a Boy Scout Merit Badge...

Bucktail Jigs called hairraisers about 500 of them1/2oz.-2oz. It took about 10 hours just to cut the bucktail off the skin. I still have about 1500 that needs to be tied and painted. The first 500 where dipped with vinyl lure paint sold by the quart. Now these other 1500 will get powder coated. I haven't found a source for all of the bucktail yet to buy wholesale. But I am still looking.

View PostBeen asked a few times to tie for different shops but refused! I tie for the love of it! I tie when & what I want! I worked 30yrs for UPS & have been retired for 4 yrs in April! I do what I want,When I want! I paid my Dues! Now it's my time to Play! biggrin.gif

So....

either your single or you have a fantastic girlfriend/wife. (I have a fantastic wife and highly recommend one).wink.gif

I was trying to tie one every night after work for a while, but I've been doing other stuff lately and need to get back on track before fishing season starts.

I am s l o w when it comes to tying. I don't know if it's inexperience or just that I'm trying too hard to be perfect (like you could tell from the finished flies).redface.gif I really need to learn how to tie faster.

One winter I poured, painted and tied 2000 1/8 oz. shad darts. Thought I would die. Last winter I poured another 2000 darts. They remain in coffee cans, unpainted and far from hair.

Nowadays I can only squeak out about four of the same simple flies at one sitting. I get bored. Sometimes I can only tie just one. I tied two spun hair frogs to take to Canada last year and they must have took me two weeks.

View PostOne winter I poured, painted and tied 2000 1/8 oz. shad darts. Thought I would die. Last winter I poured another 2000 darts. They remain in coffee cans, unpainted and far from hair.

Nowadays I can only squeak out about four of the same simple flies at one sitting. I get bored. Sometimes I can only tie just one. I tied two spun hair frogs to take to Canada last year and they must have took me two weeks.

2000 darts WOW!!!! sounds like a cool project! yet very time consuming.

how did you paint them and plan to paint the rest?

this has me intrigued.

Clouser... where are you picking up all of the bucktails?