Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reelsurfman

mega bait broken lip

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Not much ya can do with that. If you epoxy a small piece of lexan on top it will change the action. Toss it, they are cheap. If it has sentimental value hang it. Anything you do to it will make it swim different than when intact.

They're cheap but no longer made.

View Postsand it off smoothe, and use it as a topwater spook/type bait.

I have a few with broken lips that I've been holding on to and when I get around to it I've been planning to try this. I don't know if or where the plugs are weighted though so it could be a failure.

If it was mine and I was feeling ambitious I would carefully grind the remaining lip down smooth and then take a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and make a new slot. Use either lexan or fiberglass brd and make a new lip and glue it in with epoxy. I would leave it wider and longer than the original lip. Take it out to a pool if you have one and test swim it and slowly trim the lip down til you get the action you want. Sounds like a lot of work but sometimes it's worth itwink.gif

John

I would sand it off, heat up a nail that has the same thickness of some lexan and make a lip slot. Put the lexan in the slot and some 5 minute epoxy. It might work. Worth a shot if you have a few to play with. If you have a dremmel use that instead of the heated nail.

Use Circuit Board material, its thin strong and easy to shape. Create a slight slot in front of the remaining lip stub but use the stub to back up the circuit board lip , cut a piece of circuit board to shape and epoxy in place . Should work, thats my favorite mega bait color-- Kuro-Kin.

Circuit board and re-cut out the slot and epoxy it back in place usually works. might change the action a little if you dont get the same curve but it will work

That bait can be repaired. Use the remaining lip as your guide for the lip angle and cut a slot in the middle to match the angle. I would use G-10 (garolite) for the lip and epoxy in place.

You could also sand the old lip down and make a jumping minnow. I've done that will old rebel minnows.

I sand smooth then cut a metal lip with a tab the same width as the lip slot you sanded smooth...mind you you need to have a lip you know will work wink.gif

..heat the tab end over the stove or a flame, until its hot enough to melt into the plastic

, I cut little tangs into the sides of the tab edges to give a serrated edge for the melted plastic to hang onto...make sure you have the face at the leading edge of the broken plastic area...when its hot enough holding with vice grips gently push into the space . You need to fiddle around with positions quick or reheat and go deeper...benefits are you now have a metal lip to bend around to tune , it wont break, and you can mess around with the angles ...I did it to a lure for kicks and it swims better wink.gif to me anyway biggrin.gif and its in there solid..you can touch the edges with epoxy to set it and clean up the area or re coat in a light epoxy coat after painting etc...

I thorughwired these a while ago, then repainted the top one and replaced the lip in a fit of boredom ...idle hands do the er...biggrin.gif

swims the nutz

you can tune a metal lip not lexan or circuit board beers.gif

for the mega bait just copy another one or similar and add a 1/4 " or slightly more as a tab...you can heat and insert hold while it sets, then play around with the lip angles to get the action you like...