Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew9745

Black Walnut

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I cut a few good size limbs off a black walnut in my backyard, and have some big chunks laying around. None really big/straight enough to bother milling, but if anyone wants some, let me know.

The pieces range from 10" dia down to 6" or so. One piece is about 12' long, and the other about 7' and some smaller limbed up stuff. Beautiful heartwood, been on the ground about two months. Let it sit for another 8-10 months, and some good useable wood can be attained from it.

He's gotten into bowl turning and is on the hunt for decent wood, even if it means cooking it in the microwave or waiting a few months for it to dry.

He's in Ledyard and might be up for a little road trip.

I'll be in touch Drew,

Jon

View PostHe's gotten into bowl turning and is on the hunt for decent wood, even if it means cooking it in the microwave or waiting a few months for it to dry.

He's in Ledyard and might be up for a little road trip.

I'll be in touch Drew,

Jon

No prob. This 'wood' make some sweet bowls, bottle stoppers, pens etc..

Take real good care of that Black Walnut tree and any others you may own. Let them mature nicely and sell them to a casket company. I have a friend that did that. He sent 2 kids to college with what he sold the trees for. wink.gif

View PostTake real good care of that Black Walnut tree and any others you may own. Let them mature nicely and sell them to a casket company. I have a friend that did that. He sent 2 kids to college with what he sold the trees for. wink.gif

I have three of them in hte backyard. Two are young, around 16" at the base, and the one big mama I trimmed up, is approaching 36" dia, a foot off the ground. Straight as an arrow for the first 30' with no branches. They'll be staying here for a while. Problem is, every couple of years, the nut cycle comes around, and they drop so many !@#$% darned walnuts all over the backyard and in the driveway. Beautiful tree though.

View PostTake real good care of that Black Walnut tree and any others you may own. Let them mature nicely and sell them to a casket company. I have a friend that did that. He sent 2 kids to college with what he sold the trees for. wink.gif

Yes Bill, but back then 4 years tuition was only $5,000biggrin.gif

Folks, be SURE to wear a respirator with walnut. It has toxins and goodies in it that can make you seriously, in the hospital sickcwm31.gifwink.gif

BTW Bill... I was only kidding, I don't think you are that old, and I am catching up quickly.smile.gif

View PostYes Bill, but back then 4 years tuition was only $5,000biggrin.gif

Folks, be SURE to wear a respirator with walnut. It has toxins and goodies in it that can make you seriously, in the hospital sickcwm31.gifwink.gif

BTW Bill... I was only kidding, I don't think you are that old, and I am catching up quickly.smile.gif

You have a very valid point CD. I'm not real sure it was as low as $5k but allot cheaper than today.

The other thing was he had 5 acres of trees that were planted by his grandfather for that exact purpose. The grandfather was land rich and dollar poor. He owned a nursery and planted/cultivated the trees.

At one point my friend had a few casket companies bidding on the wood.

View PostAny chance you can save a small log for me?

angel2W1-1.gif

Yes! PM me to arrange a time to get it to you.

View PostHi Drew, I'm interested in anything you can spare. Thanks.

Same as above, I have plenty, so let me know what works for you.