Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fairfield_Weekender

Marathon Key Next Week

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Howdy all,

I'm headed down to Marathon next week and I was wondering if the tarpon were running yet. Anybody have any luck? I was down last year and had a great time just letting out some live mullet.

Anybody have any general information on what's hitting these days? Got skunked a few months ago following weed lines lookin for dolphin/sails. I had some luck with large yellow tails out just beyond the reef.

(not looking for specific site info, just want to know what people were catching)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Saw some big guys in Vaca Cut last week. Saw a couple roll, but I saw no one hooked up. Lots of boats anchored up between the 7 mile bridges. Could have been for mutton snapper or tarpon.

I have yet to fish there this time of year ..I think they show up in numbers mid April.. I tend to fish there mid to late spring eary fall & winter..

Have yet to have a bad day...Its great bring sun block..........

Thanks all. I'll post updates if I can find a wifi hotspot down there.

I think my routine will be:

Morning:

Try to find a good drop off marker 20. Try to get into tail/grouper.

Evening:

Try to get into some poons under the 7mb

Was in Key West a couple months ago, had a great time, great fishery. Where ever I went, there was fish being caught. It was nice to catch fish on top water swimmers.

it's been windy down here since last Friday, 20-25 East, not my favorite wind, water got a little muddy and poons and snookies are not chewing like they were last week, couldn't find any permits today.

Its been blowing down here for the last 5 days.(25-30+) We might get a little break for Saturday with the winds decreasing into next week. Clouds could be an issue on the flats. With warming temps and decreasing winds the poons should start to show again. Monday-Weds of last week had the Tarpon in the basins eating. The migratory fish have not started yet. Permit have remained on the flats and around the bridges and channels. Good luck!beers.gif

The wind was outrageous all week. 20-25 mph all week. Waves outside the reef were running 9'-11' some days

I can't tell you how bummed I am after this trip. The wind just didn't let up.

Hooked into some snapper, mackeral, & small sharks about 10 miles into the gulf... we had 2 anchors in and were still drifting. Didn't see a single boat out there.

Had one good evening of 'poon fishin just under the 7MB. Landed a 90+ lb fish which was the highlight of the trip.

I can't believe that a trip I've been planning for 6 months was ruined by a F'ing high pressure system. Luckily I made the most of the happy hour at sparky's landing.

I was down about 5 years ago. The wind blew out of the N-E from Mid Feb to the 2nd week of May. We rented a 25 Mako and got beat to death in the gulf. Had to go every other day in order for the body to stop aching. Never did make it out to the reefs on the Atlantic. Dive boats and Charter boats were all hurting.

Feel your pain. I was in long key end of feb & it was you should have been here last week. Rented a yak for my week "family vacation" and it was tough to figure out how to deal with the wind. Luckily my wife takes my complaining with a grain of salt. Had a great time regardless and coming back to 30 degree weather put things in perspective smile.gif