Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VipClubber

Soap and anti-Products that kill Fishy smells

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

After handling fish or fillets what special products that you use to kill the fish smell/scent? Please recommend any anti-smell soaps or products and its respective directions.

And the opposite, what products that you use to kill the human scents when handling the bait? Is it really important?

Please recommend/provide product names.

Thanks in advance

confused.gif

The cheapest and most effective thing I found is right outside your front door.

Dirt. I'm not even lying.

Go inside and wash your hands with normal soap and water. Also, get one of those finger nail scrubbers. Rinse them off. Walk outside with your hands still wet and find some moist soil. Get your hands in there and really rub it in your hands. Take a handful and rub it in like you were rubbing with a bar of soap. Coat your hands and shake off the excess. Your hands should be stained brown.

Go back inside and wash your hands again like you did the first time. No fish smell.

Berlkey makes this metal peice that is in the shape of a fish that i bought at wal-mart. You rub it in your hands with water and it removes the smell from your hand. It works pretty well but i just looked on the Berkley website and did not see it so i could post a pic. It has worked very well for me. I dont know why it is not showing on the site but try your local wal-mart fishing department.

I also have done the lemon juice thing but found if you rub a metal spoon in your shands after putting lemon juice on them it works better (got the tip from an old chef i worked with while working through college). Dont know anything about the science behind it but i know it works.

Hope this helps,

KJS

I've heard/seen the metal soap, but never used it.

For me, I like to use simple green. Concentrated so I mix with water. I like it because it is non toxic and gets the job done. I usually carry some in a small spray bottle when fishing so that I can quickly wash off after handling the bait.

View Posttooth paste nothing works better been using it for over 30 years to wash hands after fishing

View PostToothpaste!!!!! been using it for years

Works for me

Jake

On the way back after a blackfishing trip I started using some Purrel Hand sanitizer..All day of cutting and hooking em the juice gets all up in your fingernails and such.It can be a PITA get clean.The Purrel worked amazingly well

You don't even need the metal "soap" thing they sell--any pc. of stainless steel metal should do it. Best if you squeeze the juice of one lemon over your hands and rub, then touch metal (rubbed hands on a spoon like the previous poster said works well). Don't know why it works, and it does sound strange, but it gets the job done.

The metal soap bar works great. They sell it at most kitchen suppy stores or dept stores. I got mine at Bed bath and beyond. Also works on garlic and onion odor.