Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

PortableFishFinder ?Eagle FishFinder?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I've got a used Eagle Fish Finder (Fish Easy 2) It is portable with a battery pack and a suction cup transducer thing. Perfect for my kayak.

Anyway--the thing will not power up. I call Eagle and they tell me to check the power supply with something called a volt o meter (that I have to buy) and to make sure the cable connectors are clean. If I do that and the thing still does not power up I can send it to Eagle and they can fix it for 69.95---a flat rate. I ask the guy "what if it is an easy fix" -- he says flat rate of 69.95.

Am I wrong to think that this is a strange repair issue? Doesn't that seem like a steep price for a fix?

Has anyone else had similar issues with Eagle or this fish finder?

Anyone recc. something else?

Much thanks!

Stroth

unfortunately, it's a disposable world. you have to make a tough decision whether or not its worth fixing over buying a new one. i dont think its just eagle. i've had the same problem with electronics from sony and jvc.

fix it once, OK. have to fix it again, it winds up costing more than new.

Stroth: You should be able to find a basic no frills DVM (Digital Volt Meter) at Radio Shack for under $25. It's handy for checking lots of other things too so it's not money wasted. The factory guy gave you some sound advice as corrosion is often the culprit. Sending it back? I'd compare the features and cost against the latest models. I wouldn't throw $70 at it if I could get a new one for $140. Now if a new one cost $280 then it might not be a bad deal. Does the $70 include shipping it back to you?

If you are a relatively handy person, a voltometer will pay for itself pretty quickly. They are remarkably versatile tools that will allow you to perform diagnostic functions on all manner of electrical systems. Analog ones are relatively cheap, digital ones are more expensive. Most perform similar functions, and all will diagnose both AC and DC systems.

My guess is that, if you bought the flasher used and it was exposed to saltwater, you have a corrosion problem somewhere. As the unit is sealed, your problem is the connection between the battery and the unit. It is also possible that your battery is no longer good.

I started to write instructions to find the problem, but it is too lengthy, so if you want more, pm me.

A voltmeter is a no brainer. The red probe touches the metal on one wire and the black probe touches the metal of the other wire. This causes electricity to flow through the meter and the reading is the voltage. It should be in the 11.9 to 13.0 vdc range.

Read your instruction manual that comes with the voltmeter, and be certain that it is set for direct current, (DC or VDC) .

Alright...

I am going to get the volt o meter and give this thing a shot...

A brand new one retails for around 160 bucks. That auction site has a few portables though for under a hundred bucks.

Hopefully it is something as easy as cleaning the contacts.....

Stroth, I also have the same depht finder. Mine powers up but I'm not sure if the the transducer is working. Could you plese send me the info as to who you talked to about getting it repaired. I picked mine up at a Flea market for ten dollars and would like to use it for ice fishing if we ever get any ice. MIke

I had a similar situation with a fixed Lowrance unit a few years ago - the thing just "went" after a season & a half of use. Annoying, but such is life. Sent it back for the fixed rate & they sent me a brand new head unit. It was the most cost effective option.

I've seen the fixed rate thing on electronics items such as VCR's, etc. Not really such a bad deal, especially if the cost of replacement is prohibitive.

For $160 it better be a fluke. you can get a cheap multimeter for under $30 that will do that and alot more. You can get em at auto parts stores, electronics stores and home improvement stores. Save the cash for more gear.

I have a portable Eagle fish finder that I've been using for about 18 years. It still works.

About 5 years ago I bought a new Humminbird portable; it had more frills. A year and 1 month after I bought it (and only used it about 5 times in freshwater) it stopped working; if you couldn't guess, it had a one year warranty. I called them and they told me what you were told by Eagle - send it in for a fixed rate of about 30% of the product. I argued that it was only a month past warranty, etc., but they didn't offer any cheaper or alternative repair so I said screw Humminbird and I ended up tossing the unit.

I still use the Eagle and it still works fine.

I guess they don't make them like they used to.

I don't like this fixed repair sort of stuff. It irritates me, but it sounds like more companies are doing the same thing.

I found a volt meter online at radioshack for 19.99 and it is digital. Hopefully this is just a cable issue and once I get the power squared away the thing will work.

If it doesn't then I'll need to research whether or not it is worth the 69.95 for a new unit or if I want to switch brands.

I'll keep all posted.

Thanks!!!

Is it worth opening to see if there is something silly like a low amp fuse? A meter could help here as well to test it.

Check the owners manual to make sure that this unit is not charged with nitrogen.