The tank/Thanks Surf Hunter

Rate this topic

TF3

Surf Hunter is the MANclapping.gif After a lot of time (mostly Surf) and money, the tank has been relocated. It looks absolutely awesomebiggrin.gif The water is so clean, if there weren't fish swimming, you'd think it was emptyheadscratch.gif

Here's Clyde and Tokerbeers.gif

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

View Postnow thats a thank you icon14.gif

Well the guy spent a lot of time coaching me through this, and I aint an easy teach.........just ask himredface.gif

He won't take a giftheadscratch.gif , but I haven't offered cash yetcwm27.gif

View PostI don't knowheadscratch.gif

He whacks grassshrimp and sucks the life outta them.......I think. Then leaves them deadheadscratch.gif

The reason I asked is that most people feed them live brine shrimp, which is fine short term. The only problem is they don't provide enough calcium. Eventually their exoskeleton will get soft and they will die.

Ideally, you should feed them live fry. People who keep these guys long term always have a steady supply of fry-- usually from mollies.

Mollies are ideal because they are livebearers, reproduce often, and can live is fresh or salt water.

If I were you I would either add a bunch of mollies to the tank (they come in just about every color imaginable) or set up another tank for just the mollies and scoop out the fry as you need them.

Also, don't add any other fish that will outcompete the seahorse for its food (which is just about all of them, save for a few bottom dwellers). The hermit crab is a good choice for now, but watch out if he gets more aggressive as he gets bigger.

Good luck.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. ~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain

View PostThe reason I asked is that most people feed them live brine shrimp, which is fine short term. The only problem is they don't provide enough calcium. Eventually their exoskeleton will get soft and they will die.

Ideally, you should feed them live fry. People who keep these guys long term always have a steady supply of fry-- usually from mollies.

Mollies are ideal because they are livebearers, reproduce often, and can live is fresh or salt water.

If I were you I would either add a bunch of mollies to the tank (they come in just about every color imaginable) or set up another tank for just the mollies and scoop out the fry as you need them.

Also, don't add any other fish that will outcompete the seahorse for its food (which is just about all of them, save for a few bottom dwellers). The hermit crab is a good choice for now, but watch out if he gets more aggressive as he gets bigger.

Good luck.

People have mentioned the mollies, but this guy has survived some nasty water (several times), feeding competition with a host of other fish (that have all died) and he keeps going. I don't get it? We've had him since early Oct. He's one tough seahorsecwm31.gif I'm not changing a thingbeers.gif

I'll PM ya Surf.....thanks again!!