How do you cook corned beef?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Anybody making Ruben Egg Rolls after the boiled dinner?

..........you should!

Reuben Egg Rolls

1/2 
(8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened

3 tbsp. 
Russian dressing, plus more for serving

1 tbsp. 
prepared horseradish

3/4 lb. 
sliced corned beef, chopped

1 1/2 c. 
shredded Swiss cheese

1/2 c. 
sauerkraut, drained

2 tbsp. 
freshly chopped chives

egg roll wrappers

Vegetable oil, for frying

This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site.

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, Russian dressing, and horseradish. Fold in corned beef, Swiss, sauerkraut, and chives. 
  2. Set an egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape in front of you and spoon 2 tablespoons (max) reuben mixture in the center. Fold up bottom half and sides, then gently roll, sealing seam with a couple drops water. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers. 
  3. In a large deep-sided skillet over medium heat, heat 1 inch oil until it starts to bubble, then, working in batches, add egg rolls and fry until golden, 1 minute per side. Drain on a paper towel–lined plate and let cool slightly. Repeat with remaining egg rolls. 
  4. Serve warm, with Russian dressing for dipping.
Reuben Egg Rolls - Will Cook For Smiles

too big

On 3/17/2009 at 3:49 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Yes, the cabbage needs to be cooked for only about 10-15 minutes, or else you begin to break down the cells and release the sulfur compounds, which gives you the stink you don't like (though it doesn't bother me).

Generally, as my recipe in the other thread suggests (this is the quick typing version), saute some onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil to release the goodness of them (these are not the "eating veggies"). Add about a half cup of malt vinegar and a can of Guinness. Put in the corned beef with some extra pickling spices, bring to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer for about 3-4 hours, covered. Skim the scum as needed.

Add some chunked carrots, potatoes, and parsnips to the pot, bring back to a simmer, and let that go about 10 minutes. Add some whole baby onions, and let it go another 10 minutes at simmer. Add the cabbage, and 10 to 15 minutes at simmer, and you are done.

Pull the beef, slice, and serve with the veggies and a ton of a good hot mustard slathered over all of it, and about 3 more Guinness in a glass to drink....

That will be our dinner Thursday night....smile.gif

Made SIM's recipe w/ a couple adjustments.

Even made his mustard recipe. Oh boy was it hot!

Came out well.

Cheers!

IMG_0612.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

My MIL made a corned beef yesterday and it was basically inedible. Was like eating a dress shoe.  I didn't know anyone could screw up a corned beef so bad. She cooked it in a crock pot for a few hours.  I wonder if it was over cooked?

It was under cooked. That's the main reason corned beef, beef stew and pot roasts turn out poorly. If you think it might be done check it for tenderness with a fork, if it's not tender enough for you, it needs more time. It will be falling apart tender at the far end of the spectrum.

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

My MIL made a corned beef yesterday and it was basically inedible. Was like eating a dress shoe.  I didn't know anyone could screw up a corned beef so bad. She cooked it in a crock pot for a few hours.  I wonder if it was over cooked?

Either cooked too hot or not long enough low.  A low crockpot temperature could take 6-8 hours.   Brisket doesn’t like high temperature cooking. A few hours at a low simmer works.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

On 3/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, FEW3 said:

I was going to say the same thing. I sous vide it at 140 for 10 hours then toss it in the veggie pot.

Next time I'll probably back off the temperature too. 180 for 10 hours resulted in it being fall-apart tender, but it tasted awesome. Great for the reuben dip, corned beef hash, stuffed cabbage roll or similar but not the way to go if you want to slice it fairly thin for a sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

170 degrees for 9 hours. Doesn't sound like much but it made all the difference in the world.

It was still tender but I was able to slice it without it falling apart, making for a GREAT reuben!

Of course, it could have just been the cut, too. Who knows?