Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpari

How Do You Tie Onto A Storm Shad?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hi folks!

I am just starting to use storm shad type lures this season. As you know, the eye of the hook is on the top of the head. Do you use a leader with a snap to attach it, or tie the main line directly to the hook eye?

Thanks in advance for the info.

i usually use a 4-6 inch wireleader just in case.. its black very skinn

u never no when a bluefish will hit u... alot of ppl have told me that fish dont like the leaders...they seem to wurk fine by me... and i never lose shad... or any expensive plugs due to the wire leaders

I used to tie them on with a snap but the snap for some reason doesn't give it the same action it would have when you tie it directly. I use 20lb mono as leader for the small ones in the back bay, which is tied directly to my braid, and 50lb Floro leader for the ocean/surf, tied to my braid. beers.gif

View Postyeah AKScubas right I think it messes up the action on the shad.

I use the snap all the time with Storm's never had a problem with swimming action. Caught tons of stripers, blues and weakies on them with the snaps. No problem at all.

View PostAll jigs shall be tied directly to your leader, this is the law.

i feel the same way always tie direct you get better action, i have used both and i always seem to do better with a direct tie.

View Posti usually use a 4-6 inch wireleader just in case.. its black very skinn

u never no when a bluefish will hit u... alot of ppl have told me that fish dont like the leaders...they seem to wurk fine by me... and i never lose shad... or any expensive plugs due to the wire leaders

if you are using shads there is no point to using wire leader, all you can do is spook some bass, you will catch bass on wire for sure but its an unneccessary evil. if a bluefish grabs ur shad your better off losing it anyway what are you gonna do with half a shad? or a shad with bite marks in it? you won't get the same action anyway.

if you are using shads there is no point to using wire leader, all you can do is spook some bass, you will catch bass on wire for sure but its an unneccessary evil. if a bluefish grabs ur shad your better off losing it anyway what are you gonna do with half a shad? or a shad with bite marks in it? you won't get the same action anyway.

Beat me to it. No need for wire with them. If blues are around use metal. There must be schools of chomped up storm shads swimmin around our waters.

For fishing sandy beaches leader length about 20 inches, rocks or jetties 24-36 inch leader. Tie on a barrel swivel to one end of the leader and a snap to the other end. Using a snap makes it much easier to change out lures. The last thing you want to be doing is messing around trying to tie a knot during a blitz.

i feel the same way always tie direct you get better action, i have used both and i always seem to do better with a direct tie.

Maybe I'm missing something but how do you get better action by direct tying? The only action on them is the tail. And what lb. test leader you using to tie direct?

View Posti feel the same way always tie direct you get better action, i have used both and i always seem to do better with a direct tie.

Maybe I'm missing something but how do you get better action by direct tying? The only action on them is the tail. And what lb. test leader you using to tie direct?

no the only action on a shad is not the tail,, the body wobbles side to side as well atleast the good ones do (always use Tsunami). and i'm not sure why i do better with tie on than a snap but i do i think the shad sways to much on the loose clip maybe. instead of having that tight wobble like its supposed to

and lb test depends. mostly 30 to 50 depending onwhere i'm fishing. 60lb if i'm in a real rough area big fish in the river or off jetties in the spring or montauk. don't want to lose the big one