Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KP4

Shimano Saragosa

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Its a very nice reel. Very smooth. Factory bail-less kit is available. Propulsion spool lip is not a gimmick, line comes off the spool in noticably smaller loops and they cast very well. Very nice power handle. Titanium lip spool. Not prone to bail closure on the cast even without the bail-less kit.

I'd argue that the Spheros is a better value at about $80 less. The handle isn't as nice, its not quite as smooth and it lacks the titanium spool lip and paladin gears, but it casts and retrieves the same (slightly slower gearing the case of the Spheros) and is plenty durable. Spare spools are 1/2 the cost.

I believe spare spheros spools should fit on the saragossa. Its amazing how much the companies charge for an extra spool! I bought a boca spool for my cabo as a backup it fit perfectly!

I had a 8000fi Stradic and figured I would downsize but still buy another Stradic. So I used a gift card from XMass to buy a 6000fi.

The 6000 is exactly the same reel as far as I can tell with the exception of the spool. The 6k spool just holds a little less line but but the spool is interchangable (sp) with the 8000fi. I will have to look, but it might not even say the model of the reel on the reel body.. Just plain wierd..headscratch.gif

I still like the product but feel slightly abused and sure wish someone with more knowledge could enlighten me as to IF there are other differences. Of course I understand I could have researched it first but it sounded so simple.

frown.gif

This has been well know for quite some time.

The old Stella and Sustain were the same way 4k and 5k were the same body and the 6k and 8k were the same body. The only difference was the overall weight and line capacity. The larger sized reels were lighter because the arbor was smaller.

D

View PostI had a 8000fi Stradic and figured I would downsize but still buy another Stradic. So I used a gift card from XMass to buy a 6000fi.

The 6000 is exactly the same reel as far as I can tell with the exception of the spool. The 6k spool just holds a little less line but but the spool is interchangable (sp) with the 8000fi. I will have to look, but it might not even say the model of the reel on the reel body.. Just plain wierd..headscratch.gif

I still like the product but feel slightly abused and sure wish someone with more knowledge could enlighten me as to IF there are other differences. Of course I understand I could have researched it first but it sounded so simple.

frown.gif

Its a slightly nicer reel than the Stradic, built for saltwater fishing and has the titanium lipped, drilled spool which the stradic does not have. I believe the Sustain does, at a higher price.

The Stradic does come with a spare spool at a slightly lower price, though.

Shimano says the Stradic is not for saltwater use. Of course plenty of folks do use them successfully in the salt. The older ones were a bit more fragile, but I think the delta between the two in terms of durability in the salt has diminished or possibly even now is eliminated.

The 5000, 6000 and 8000 Spheros and Saragosa use the same basic reel body with different sized spools. The 6000 and 8000 Stradics do the same (the 5000 stradic uses a smaller body).

I had the Saragossa 8000 but was lost in the drink. I have the 4000 Saragosa left. For the money it's nothing to write home about. I think it would be a better value if it was 119.00-129.00 and add an extra spool. For 189.95 you get the Saragossa but no extra spool. I had some parts that rusted out in less then a year and the side plates came off after a poor glue job. I still can't believe the plates were glued on. I put back on with rod builders epoxy.

For the money it's way overpriced. For the same money you can get 2 or 3 of the older Spheross FA's, take out the right side bushing and add an extra bearing. Now you have a reel that is smooth, not as smooth as the Saragossa but for a 1/3 of the money and within the same size class. Or go for some older Stradics and rebuild them every year depending on use. I still think the older Spheros FA's were the best buys for the money and easy to maintain and could take abuse. I even swapped out handles in the Spheros for Dawia BG's handle as the Spheros handle loves to trap salt.

That's my evaluation.

Also forgot to add that new Propulsion Line Management System that came on the Saragossa was not braid friendly for me compared to Spheros and Stradics

that neatly piled in braid. I had to play around with the spool height by adding a spacer washer underneath to try and help.

Here's pictures of the Saragosa 4000, Spheros 5000 with Daiwa BG 20 handle (the bg 20 handle will also fit 6000 and 8000), and my Spheros 4000 with upgraded Saragosa handle.

Thanks Riddler. I have two older Stradic 6000's and even after a service they don't stay smooth for long. All my new reels are 4000's and 5000's so I need something larger for the Canal.

Maybe the Spheros 8000 would do the job. I have two. If the handle gets too sticky too often the BG handle would be a cheap upgrade. I wish the handle's of the Saragosa were cheaper because they are sweet, but at 70 a handle it's too expensive for a Spheros. I got one for free from a rep.

Here's a picture of the inside gear for the Saragosa 4000. It does not appear to be pot metal it's seem to be well built, maybe that's where the extra money goes. The Stradics and Spheros has that god aweful pot metal stuff that wears and corrosion loves to stick to it. I wonder if it would fit the Spheros and Stradics?...hmmmmmmmmm...I guess I'm calling shimano Wed. Could be a neat upgrade to the Stradics and Spheros. As long as the price is right.

From Shimano's view then what is the point of making essentially the same reel and just giving it another name?

It also seems like a guy with your knowledge who is willing to crack open the reel can build a better reel than Shimano can using their parts.

I have a Saros 4000 (never hear a word about them) which I really like for the $129.00 with extra spool but ordered a Stradic 5000 because I wanted to go a little bigger. Well as you know, it was smaller. frown.gif Continuity seems to be lacking even in a simple numbering scheme.

It's not just Shimano who is odd.. Abu puts the same owners manual in every box regardless of whats inside and it's impossible without prior knowledge to know what your getting and how it works.redface.gif

I used a Saragos on my jigging stick at the canal all last season...it was perfect. I installed the bail conversion kit...very simple and easy to use. Casts well, has good speed on line retrieve and the drag was very smooth and durable as it was tested on more than a few occasionssmile.gif

I never payed much attention to Shimano until the local B&T sold me the 4000 Symetre. It is so nice, strong and smooth, that after using it I bought a second one. For me, it has many features of the more expensive Shimanos. Unfortunately, they almost doubled the price this year and cut out the free second spool. I am not sure it is worth it anymore. The big problem I have with Shimano is that the 4000 is a very nice reel for its size, 13.6 oz, 150 yd of 30 lb pp, but the next largest Shimano is much bigger. They seemed to have skipped over the 710 size, which for me, maybe out of habit, is a very nice all-around size to have.