Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfeng13

Kayak Cart

7 posts in this topic

Ive been putting off buying a kayak cart for some time now. I figure I can

save a couple of bucks and deal with lugging around my 62 lb Tarpon 140.

I think I have reached the point where I am going to give in and buy one. I got a Dicks Sporting Goods Gift Card for Christmas and noticed they have Field & Stream Canoe Kayak Cart for sale ($79.99). Anyone own this or know someone who does? Is it worth the $$$$? Positives-Negatives of it? Should I just give in and buy a different one and save the gift card for something else?

Thanks--- JFeng

I have that one and I curse it every time I use it. It is designed to fold up so it can be stored but unfortunately it folds up every time I put the yak up on it. I just ordered some wheels to build one myself because Im to cheap to spend $150 and up on a new one. Im sure after Im done building my own I'll have spent $200kooky.gif

dont get the field and streams cart. i bought one last year and it was a pain in the ass. it folded shut when putting the yak on top and even sometimes while dragging the yak on sand. spend a little bit more and get something decent!

Just build one. It is a VERY simple process with the most basic tools. I've built two in the past two weeks and the second one took all of 60 minutes to construct. It's functional, lightweight, collapsable (can be stored in the front bow) and inexpensive compared to some of the store brand models.

1.5" PVC + various fittings = perfect.

Hell, I've even thought about making a few and selling them. It was actually fun to do.

Let me get some lunch, then look in the garage and look at mine, post you a link to the site. I think it's for launching small sailboats, but is the best kayak cart you can get. Wide, inflatable tires that go thru sand, over rocks, incredible.

I have the dicks one as well, and it closes up on me too. Glad Im not the only one. The wheels are heavy and quickly rusting after only 1 year of use.

Not worth it.

I made a few pvc ones, they are fun to put together and cheap.

kb