Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfcasterzx2

Split rings on swimmer/advice

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

the first thing i do as soon as i get ANY plug out of the package is take the split ring off. i have two reasons, the first is because it's just another point of weakness, and the second is that it decreases the action especially on smaller lighter plugs.

Here's my .02

Yes and No - it depends.

YES- Typically, I like a split ring up front b/c I always beleived that the split ring added to the action of a lure. Just use quality split rings (all the time) and you shouldn't have (weak link) issues. I assume we are talking about striped bass and bluefish, not Tuna and Sharks (Big Game) so you should be fine using quality split rings.

NO - Over the past few seasons, I've switched to using breakaway clips, so I also remove the split rings from the front of all my plugs.

It's really a matter of preference and, to some degree, it depends how you connect the plug to your line, snap, etc.

Good luck either way

View PostI'm still interested in how 80# Fast Clips are way stronger than 80# Breakaway Clips.

They aren't. I think he meant both Breakaway and Backlash are stronger then traditional duolock clips.

I use 150# Backlash fast clips and remove the split ring from most of my plastic swimmers heads.

View PostThey aren't. I think he meant both Breakaway and Backlash are stronger then traditional duolock clips.

I use 150# Backlash fast clips and remove the split ring from most of my plastic swimmers heads.

Thank you Log cabins!!!beers.gif