How many bushings for under a reel seat?

Rate this topic

Saltheart

Ok Billy what I attempted here was a read between the lines approach to a situation in responce to how do you do this. What I was trying to illustrate was sometimes it's not a bad idea to have a go yourself and see what happens. Sure from what you say my approach would lead to a failed join. But I would have found that out on a scrap piece of blank and learnt something for myself before committing to doing it on a rod.

I am well aware of the method you outline it is not new.smile.gif

Mike

i used dry wall tape on my surf rod.. it only took 3 or 4 wraps, i could see the blank through it pretty well so i didn't epoxy it first.. it has held up for 4 years with a 704 and 706 hanging off it. i have used the arbors and they are pretty nice.. i have gone back to using masking tape.. with good spacing, good prep and filled with 2 part i have not had one fail yet.. only built a few hundred rods though so who knows..

IF the glue isn't running through the mesh all the way to teh blank, the only adhesive holding will be the drywall tape. Once the epoxy dries, you'd be able to twist teh seat off, and be left with a mess since half teh bushing will be glued to teh inside of teh seat. What HL posted is what would happen (and has happened) if the drywll is not saturated with epoxy. SOme of teh drywall tapes actually soak up the adhesive, which I was not aware of.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

i cut a 3 ft pieces cut in 7boxs pieces . then glue too blank with cazyglue wind it on and glue it as you go .and check the clearance of the reel seat i do that too all piece's .. be for gluing with rod bond full all the drywall with rod bond set reel seat to line up and pack more rod bond in both ends

eddie

"Moriches anglers " Fuke TOURNMENT first place for 2009 -2007

i must have got good saturation on mine becuause i have beat it to death and it has held up well.. if i ever do another one with dry wall tape i will glue it first.. i recently cut one of my broken rods down to re use the blank through fuji triger seat.. i cut it down to just enough of a handle behind the seat to pull on i couldn't get it to budge by hand and i pulled on and twisted it hard even with 2 people.. i then heated it up in a pot of water to almost boiling.. it pulled twisted right off when the 2 part started to turn to rubber as it got hot.... i was amazed how little glue actually contated the reel seat and blank for it to hold up to some hard fishing untill the rod broke and i pulled it apart.. i could see the edges of the glue where it contacted the blank and seat when i heated it up they shredded a little as i pulled it apart. i could also see little gaps where the epoxy thinned out a little more not making much contact at all, they were nice and shiny still.. kind of neat to learn what is going on by taking broken stuff apart..

GS, poper techniques will always hold up. Even half-ass techniques will hold up most of teh time. As long as you don't have one of the once in a while rods, you'ev got nothing to worry about, lol.

FWIW - 3 turns ia a LOT diffrent than a 20 turn bushing, which isn't a stretch at all when you get into Offshore fishing with some of the thin OD blanks and there is a hugh gap to build up.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

back in the old days just about everybody used elmers for cork and seats..i know my dad did. i also i think he used strips of paper bag or newspaper to make bushings if he had no masking tape. he used to build rods at a tackle/gun shop he ran when i was a kid.. i got to go through the scrap pile and get blanks and parts of blanks for a couple bucks and build trout rods with them. some of my most favorite times of life. things have changed so much in crapifornia.. i so badly wish i wasn't rooted here..