Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xmytruck

Which Waders?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I am looking for input on breathable waders I have narrowed my search at the price line of $100 to $200 bucks. I am looking at the following companies: Simms, Orvis and L.L Bean and I wanted to know what you guys think are the best waders and why?

thx

x

All 3 that you mentioned are good. It all depends what your going to use them for & do want a stocking foot or a boot foot? I have 2 pair I use both boot foot 1 breathable & 1 Neoprene for the colder weather. The breathable are Orvis but expenseve I got the Guide model at a price I couldn't refuse! The Neo. are Hodgemans also at a steel, got those at sears,Had no price & the guy I asked the price didn't no & there was no bar code or price on the box so the guy said how about $15.00. I said that's kinda high no? LOL I grabbed them! All mentioned have great warrantys so either you can't go wrong! You can get cheaper with the big outfitters is you google waders!

Ll bean sizes are all over the place. Larges are huge mediums are tight.

Orvis in that price range are pretty flexible.

check out the orvis new for 09 silver label $229. that stretch upper looks sweet. It may help alleviate the crotch leaks by allowing the upper half to give a little when kneeling or climbing. I'm gonna check out the pro guide 3, and the tailwater this week out in pa and can let ya know how the sl's look if youd like.

I have the helix ll beans now and although comfortable as heck. No security pocket inside and no elastic chord up top destroys it for me.

Hope that helps

Oh yeah and while at cabelas for the first time last week (not impressed) Checking out their wader, once again not impressed. The wader salesmen, (very nice kid) said he wouldn't sell simms to his worst enemy. That comming from the salesmens mouth. He said he has had more simms come back than any other wader. Most likely imo buyers remorse/ wife finding out what he paid. But still kinda shocked to hear it.

Shame that no other company has their style bootie, no dought the best out there.

If you want to check out cabelas new top notch wader. I had them bring them to the store in a size medium and large. They weren't a stock item but they ordered them in for me to try out, their sitting at customer service now, got the call today. Supposedly no sewn seems all welded. Interesting.

I have a pair of Orvis breathable stocking foot waders that are great. I'm sure LL Bean & Simms are great too. But as far as customer service goes (based purely on my own experiences), LL Bean and Orvis are fantastic. I'd go with one of the two purely for the guarantee's those stores give. No hassle returns / replacements are a godsend.

View PostWaders will, at some time leak. Sooner or later, no way around it.

So get the best warranty = LL Bean

Is there warranty on all models or just their top of the line stuff?

thx

xmytruck

I have used Chota Waders for a few years. Like all other breathables, they eventually leak. Their bootfoot design is what my decision is based on. Do a search and you will find some good deals on closeout. You will not get the LL Bean warranty so take that into consideration.

View PostIs there warranty on all models or just their top of the line stuff?

thx

xmytruck

Every single thing they sell.

emgred's right. That's the reason I went with bean...

The guy at my local store told me that the neoprene bottoms need some kind of shoe or boot to wear over top. He also told me that Neoprene does not hold up to the salt water, it breaks down in salt water. This doesn't sound right to me. I think I might go Neoprene, and I'll be using them primarily in fresh water, but I wanted to see what you guys think. Should I keep them out of the salt?

Also, are old sneakers OK to wear with them, or should I get specialty cleats or something?

I have a pair of Cabelas 3mm neoprene stocking foots which have lasted me 7+yrs of salmon fishing and surf fishing, Oyea ive had leaks but good ole aquaseal takes care of it, I paid 50.00 for them now i think there $54.95...>))>

I only use my neoprenes in very cold weather. They are brutally hot in warm weather = unwearable. Breathables are the way to go. You can always add layers underneath, and they are considerably lighter and more comfortable. Salt eventually breaks down everything, but rinsing after use extends lifetime. LLbean is the way to go b/c of their lifetime warranty. If you get stocking foot waders, get a pair of wading boots. There are cheap ones out there, esp in catalogs and on line discount stores. Old sneakers won't cut it. You will be miserable. Unless you will be doing a lot of walking, or wading in rocky bottom areas, boot fit waders are easy, and comfortable.