Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clouserkid1

First deep jigging setup

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ill be fishing in virginia and north carolina in places like the norfolk canyon. Ill be targeting watever I can get hooked on a jig or deep drop rig. Should I get a conventional setup(I have alot of experience with conventional), or should I get a spinning setup. I have found two reels I may like. One being a daiwa saltist 30 t or h which model would be better. Or maybe a penn spinfisher 7500 or 6500. I have one of each. Which line should I use also

thanks guys

go with the saltist 30. You will need a stiff tipped rod that can hold alot of lead if youll be fishing in water as deep as 200+feet. I prefer the Avet MX over any reel. I would try the shimano trevala conventional rod 50-100lb braid 100-200g jig weight. Or go with the XXH model for deeper water like you might encounter.

I should have my 6' 30-60# jigging blanks in another week or so, which are perfect for this type of fishing. Made for me by Seeker, they are extremely light (5.4oz), 6', and have a ton of power.

HEre are some pictures of the protype rod I built with carious weights hanging off of it, and being leaned on the rail. I'm going to have blanks available right away (Grey & Blue color) and finished rods available in a few weeks after recieving the blanks.

View PostIll be fishing in virginia and north carolina in places like the norfolk canyon. Ill be targeting watever I can get hooked on a jig or deep drop rig. Should I get a conventional setup(I have alot of experience with conventional), or should I get a spinning setup. I have found two reels I may like. One being a daiwa saltist 30 t or h which model would be better. Or maybe a penn spinfisher 7500 or 6500. I have one of each. Which line should I use also

thanks guys

IMO, conventional reels make it easier to keep in contact with the bottom. How deep is deep to you? Make sure that the reel holds plenty of line.

View PostBilly 40, nice acid rods! How much is a finished acid seeker goina cost? Is the stripper guide offset as well?

I haven't decided on a price just yet, but from speaking to others, most high end rods for this application are in the $350-$400 range. I stopped offsetting the stripper several years ago, to each their own on that.

Snaps, I've got plans for several other blanks for INshore fishing, it just takes a lot of time to get one just right. YOu gotta have fun with this stuff.

View PostI haven't decided on a price just yet, but from speaking to others, most high end rods for this application are in the $350-$400 range. I stopped offsetting the stripper several years ago, to each their own on that.

Snaps, I've got plans for several other blanks for INshore fishing, it just takes a lot of time to get one just right. YOu gotta have fun with this stuff.

Good to hear from ya !biggrin.gif

View PostIll be fishing in virginia and north carolina in places like the norfolk canyon. Ill be targeting watever I can get hooked on a jig or deep drop rig. Should I get a conventional setup(I have alot of experience with conventional), or should I get a spinning setup. I have found two reels I may like. One being a daiwa saltist 30 t or h which model would be better. Or maybe a penn spinfisher 7500 or 6500. I have one of each. Which line should I use also

thanks guys

I wouldn't use spinning gear for bottom fishing those depths. For conventional reels, think torque instead of speed (you wouldn't start at the bottom of a hill in a high gear). You'll want a min of 300-400 yards of 65# braid, bump it up to 80-100 if there are snowies, wreckfish, or big tiles. Throw on a top shot of heavy 80-130# mono and you're all set.

View PostI wouldn't use spinning gear for bottom fishing those depths. For conventional reels, think torque instead of speed (you wouldn't start at the bottom of a hill in a high gear). You'll want a min of 300-400 yards of 65# braid, bump it up to 80-100 if there are snowies, wreckfish, or big tiles. Throw on a top shot of heavy 80-130# mono and you're all set.

I take it that these fish aren't leader shy . Would you use the same thing for Jumbo Seabass and or Blueline Tiles ?

i'd go with the daiwa and at least 50 to 65 lb braid don't know how bigyour fish are, maybe 80 is warranted you get big amberjacks down there right??????

for a rod shimano travalla rods are reel good and accurrate just came out with a jigging rod that is sweet. good luck