Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicky

recomend a pfd

17 posts in this topic

I use an inflatable vest. Some may argue that it's not your safest bet but it's the most comfortable for me, therefore I never take it off. I use it when fishing the jetties as well. I keep a seat cushion type on the yak as well, they come in handy if you need to make a reentry into the yak.

One that is comfortable!

Seriously, I wear a Stohlquist Asea

Stohlquist%20Asea%20PFD.jpg

There are many others to choose from, Kokatat, MTI, NRS, and Extrasport to name a few. Find one that fits you right, because if it's uncomfy on ya, you may not have it on when you need it.

I have big bewbies and short arms, I like my waste pfd from west marine. it is like a fanny pack that inflates if you go over or has a string you can pull to inflate. Im a very good swimmer, people warn about if I get knocked out or something but I am more efficient with use of my arms than limited because of the girth of a bulging vest imo. AND IM IN CHARGE OF ME!

and I have to paddle a kayak with the arms of a t rex

Got this one and really appreciate the pockets, small size and comfort. Used it all the time in the recent trip to the everglades. Scott

P1010306.jpg?t=1237215819

I check out the Stohlquist this evening after seeing it posted here by many. I'm sold and bought one. I really liked the two big pockets that opened up. It was what I needed to fit both of my fly attachments out of my Fish Pond wader pack. The Velcro backing on the fly attachment fit perfect inside the Fisherman pockets, like it was meant to be. For me, it just made the fly fishing organization a little easier out of the kayak and even wading from shore. Maybe shed the waist pack as I keep everything together.

I like the high vis mango but, I see it dirty in a couple of trips. I am taking the advice of a good coating of Schotchbrite just to keep it looking like new. Ah, you know what? Screw the Schotchbrite. It's not a fishing PFD until it gets some dirt and blood on it. icon14.gif It looks good and the ergonmincs seems to be geared towards some input from a fisherman. Hopefully it lasts the abuse.

Thanks guys for the suggestion.