Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyefish

Scouting the beach

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I was scouting the beach two hours before the moon set during the new moon. It was low tide the beach was on the south shore of long island. My daughter and I were looking to locate structure, a sandbar, some cuts, and troths. anything that might set up a buffet table during high tide. I took some photos of what I thought to be structure setting up but being a newbie I don't like to assume. Here are some photos. Thanks in advance for response.

View PostI was scouting the beach two hours before the moon set during the new moon. It was low tide the beach was on the south shore of long island. My daughter and I were looking to locate structure, a sandbar, some cuts, and troths. anything that might set up a buffet table during high tide. I took some photos of what I thought to be structure setting up but being a newbie I don't like to assume. Here are some photos. Thanks in advance for response.

Two of those pics show where receding waves will funnel bait out, one shows a nice bar with a rough on the beach side. At higher tides, cast onto that bar, letting your lure wash into the trough. Casting to the ends of that bar shouldn't be neglected, either.

soft structure changes day to day if not hour to hour. what you see today will be different next wk and waaay different next month.

you would be amazed at what just a slight difference in the contour of the bottom makes - a small dip is enough to equal good structure on an otherwise flat area. however, if the surrounding area all looks like that, look for something out of the ordinary, compared to the rest of the stretch. i encountered an area just like what your showing, and as the tide was coming up at dusk, sand eels were pushed into a bit of a v-trough. large showed and when the sun dropped, game on. you're doing what most good fisherman do, looking for structure; and you're heading in the right direction.