Penn 525 vs Squal

Rate this topic

techie22311

View PostI was reading on another site that the gearbox on the new Squalls do not feel like they are cantered as far forward as the 525 mag. Although pictures of the Squall shows the gearbox cantered forwardl, the thicker, wider Squall gearbox makes it feel less forward cantered and can get in the way of your hand while holding or casting the reel. Major reason I don't like to use my Daiwa SL20 is because of the straight down gearbox. Anyone who has had the new Squall on a rod have any opinion on the gearbox posisiton? Any feel difference in the Squall and 525 mag? I'm still trying to decide to get the Squall or another 525 mag.

Here are some side-by-side pics of the Squall 12 and 525 mag. Looks like the Squall 12 and the 525 are the same width, but the Squall 12 spoll is narrower,

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

I saw that too, on another message board, but it looked like the test reel they guy is talking about is different than the final product now available for sale.

Someone took the pics down. But I think those pics showed a gearbox with no screws in it. The pics I see now of the reel, from websites selling it, look like the reel that made it to the market looks like they have screws in the gearbox housing. So his might have been different headscratch.gif

Hard to tell without seeing those pics, though, and without ever seeing the reel in person.

Classic

.........as we continue on.......

View PostI saw that too, on another message board, but it looked like the test reel they guy is talking about is different than the final product now available for sale.

Someone took the pics down. But I think those pics showed a gearbox with no screws in it. The pics I see now of the reel, from websites selling it, look like the reel that made it to the market looks like they have screws in the gearbox housing. So his might have been different headscratch.gif

Hard to tell without seeing those pics, though, and without ever seeing the reel in person.

Looks like the pics were taken down (not by me). Anyway, I may be over thinking the whole Squall vs 525 mag thing. Probably both are great reels. Just a matter if you want to pay a little less for the old (525 mag), or pay a little more for the new (Squall).

View PostLooks like the pics were taken down (not by me). Anyway, I may be over thinking the whole Squall vs 525 mag thing. Probably both are great reels. Just a matter if you want to pay a little less for the old (252 mag), or pay a little more for the new (Squall).

I'm definitely over thinking it, but for me, the main thing is the form factor. That is what has been the dealbreaker for me with the 525 Mag and is still a dealbreaker for me at $99 or even $50--its just too big and heavy for me to be casting all day long, chunking is one thing, but constantly hurling, jigging and retreiving 1-3oz. with small hands (that have injuries) while walking a few miles starts to wear on me. So I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Squall 12 soon icon14.gif

Classic

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing with a Squall at Surfland. The drag is moon and stars better than the 525Mag, smooth, has clicker under star knob, and has a few turns from free to lock. If I was looking for another reel, I'd buy one.

.........Elvis lives....2020

I can't believe that , they (Surfland) said they would not have them until late Nov. after the "show",whatever that is.That some woman told me over the phone,that they were not out yet,...and it was not Kay or Martha.

I was up there a couple of months ago,asking the tall big kid with the wiffle,said that they were NOT going to sell them.

Do they know what's going on ?

I love doing business with them ,but it seems like someone can't get their facts straight !

View PostI was playing with a Squall at Surfland. The drag is moon and stars better than the 525Mag, smooth, has clicker under star knob, and has a few turns from free to lock. If I was looking for another reel, I'd buy one.

Stewie i understand the external click drag on the squall cause i have played with them, but how is the actual drag that much better cause both of them have ht-100 drags?

The drags look thicker and more substantial, with a hard center and then the HT 100 fabric on both faces. They also smell like some sort of strange chemical headscratch.gif As soon as I opened the drag stack I could smell a chemical smell like an aerosol or paint thinner type smell headscratch.gif Dry lubricant? Might be?

I greased them anyway.

The movement of the star from no drag to full drag is better than on any small reel I've ever used.

Classic

I went with 30lb Jerry Brown white, with 40lb Momoi mono topshot. They really spool them nice and make a fancy splice knot, with about 6" of doubled braid before the mono.

I think it's just not oiled at all. There's grease inside, but the bearings and everything else that should be oiled look completely dry. I put a few drops in and now its stopped. I think it may be the spindle.

Shipping was 7 days.

Only real problem is that, since I'll have to be doing what I gotta do to pay the bills, I probably won't get to test it out casting for a while crying.gif

Classic