Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wild Dave

The PEI Trout Season

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The trout season opens in Prince Edward Island in one month, April15/09. It's that first month that the salt water bays and rivers can be their most productive for Trophy sized Speckled-trout. The ice still has a firm grip on the Island, so we can just hope for some sign of spring. In one month we will be camped along the bank of a river where the salt meets the fresh water waiting for 4:32AM and then the GAMES BEGIN !!!! Here are some photos of some opening days in the past. The Atlantic salmon was from two years past, the trout and striper are from last year.

Very cool smile.gif I haven't been there in years but still love that place and the maritimes in general. The native brook trout on the island were incredible. Not always huge but certainly plentiful. Good stuff!!!

Nice fish Dave! took a family vacation to PEI about 20 years ago. cool place, lots of potatos, and a beautiful coastline. I remember seeing cows grazing right down to the beach. Would love to get back and see how its changed since the bridge was built. Oh and do some fishin too....

Last time I was up in PEI, I was still a minor and there was no bridge crossing over to the island - you took ferry boats. And I managed a 4" brookie during the only morning I fished. Btw, it's nice to see you get to enjoy 'our' stripers as well...and that salmon is killer (I'd love to catch one of those - I only catch the 'landlock' strain of that same fish)...but anyway, congrats on some real nice catches

Now that I've re-read your post, is that striper from opening day (April 15th) up at PEI???if so, that's amazing....and good to see as that means you must have your own population of stripers that breed up that way...

View PostNice fish Dave! took a family vacation to PEI about 20 years ago. cool place, lots of potatos, and a beautiful coastline. I remember seeing cows grazing right down to the beach. Would love to get back and see how its changed since the bridge was built. Oh and do some fishin too....

First and only visit to PEI, so far, was in 74 with friends. Ferry trip, no bridge yet. Awesome trout fishing but, like pat the nat, the memory that's lasted forever was leaning against a fence with cows grazing right behind me and I'm gazing out over a sea of lobster pot markers. Oh, and I never quite washed all that red dirt from under my car. Hope to get back someday, beautiful and unique location. Keep us posted on how your season goes. HappyWave.gif

Well, I've been to PEI...interesting island, did not fish there though..went on FISH BUSINESS though....darn the MOOSEHEAD draft is excellent in PEI..different animal than the beer in the states!! NICE SHOTS enjoyed your story!!!beers.gif

View PostNow that I've re-read your post, is that striper from opening day (April 15th) up at PEI??? If so, that's amazing....and good to see as that means you must have your own population of stripers that breed up that way...

Yea she's from opening day. We're not allowed to keep them, so it's back to the water for her to catch some more trout. The stripers head for the fresh water because when salt water goes below 32 dreg. F it becomes depleted in oxygen and the stripers will die. I'm almost positive they spawn here but the Biologists say different.

View PostYea she's from opening day. We're not allowed to keep them, so it's back to the water for her to catch some more trout. The stripers head for the fresh water because when salt water goes below 32 dreg. F it becomes depleted in oxygen and the stripers will die. I'm almost positive they spawn here but the Biologists say different.

I think I've read that some biologists actually are reconsidering their position on that...and it only makes sense

View PostLast time I was up in PEI, I was still a minor and there was no bridge crossing over to the island - you took ferry boats. And I managed a 4" brookie during the only morning I fished. Btw, it's nice to see you get to enjoy 'our' stripers as well...and that salmon is killer (I'd love to catch one of those - I only catch the 'landlock' strain of that same fish)...but anyway, congrats on some real nice catches

View PostFirst and only visit to PEI, so far, was in 74 with friends. Ferry trip, no bridge yet. Awesome trout fishing but, like pat the nat, the memory that's lasted forever was leaning against a fence with cows grazing right behind me and I'm gazing out over a sea of lobster pot markers. Oh, and I never quite washed all that red dirt from under my car. Hope to get back someday, beautiful and unique location. Keep us posted on how your season goes. HappyWave.gif

Only time for me was in 75 on the ferry, a graduation from high school trip with an old girlfriend.

Beautiful place, no fishing but I remember the red dirt, how big the moon looked and the endless stars on a clear night.

The old junk Impala I was driving blew a radiator in the middle of the Island. I didn't have much money so I figured I was screwed. I walked to the next farmhouse to use the phone and ask if there were any junkyards on the island. The farmer said he might be able to help, he took me to his barn, showed me a pile of about 10 radiators and said I was welcome to one if I could match it up.

I found one that would work the hoses and tranny lines, had to wire it in place because the bolts didn't line up and it got us home.

Nice people, I hope the bridge hasn't changed the place. I hope to go back someday.