Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouse

Counter balancing rods?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

What do you builders do to make a "tip heavy" rod more butt heavy? I've seen a few suggestions in the past to epoxy a bank sinker into the butt, but I wasn't sure if that was the "good solid" way to do it, or a quick 'n' dirty way. redface.gif

By the time you balance that beast out, it'll be too heavy to carry out to the water.cwm27.gif

..........Don't worry about it.wink.gif

i have put a lead weight in the butt. it obviously adds to the overall weight of the rod but it actually feels lighter (11 foot surf rod, butts between your legs whe your reeling) when you fish it. i like it when i am fishing light lures with a big rod (bomber, sluggo, small bucktails) but for like a pencil popper it doesnt matter. i would only do it if there was a benefit to the fishing aspect for simple reason of balancing the rod i wouldnt. i never though the rod balancing at the reel meant anything anyway

View PostBy the time you balance that beast out, it'll be too heavy to carry out to the water.cwm27.gif

..........Don't worry about it.wink.gif

It's my party and I'll cry if I want totongue.gif

View Posti have put a lead weight in the butt. it obviously adds to the overall weight of the rod but it actually feels lighter (11 foot surf rod, butts between your legs whe your reeling) when you fish it. i like it when i am fishing light lures with a big rod (bomber, sluggo, small bucktails) but for like a pencil popper it doesnt matter. i would only do it if there was a benefit to the fishing aspect for simple reason of balancing the rod i wouldnt. i never though the rod balancing at the reel meant anything anyway

SFM, it's more for a "feel" I like in my rods. I've always seemed to like a butt heavy rod and reel. Just makes it easier for the style of plugging I like to do (kinda active and "twitchy") and seems to save some fatigue...

Unbalanced rods suck. Surf, boat, FW - tehy are "heavier" since you have to forcefully hold them to prevent them from tipping foward, as opposed to relaxing and allowing the rod to sit in place in your hands. I'm not a fan of adding weight, and I've never done it. I also do not do many surf rods.

While probably not a viable alternative for other reasons (see next sentence), you could move the reel seat closer to teh tip. This usually does a lot to balance the rod, but can be extremely uncomfy when casting if the butt is toooooo long.

View PostWhile probably not a viable alternative for other reasons (see next sentence), you could move the reel seat closer to teh tip. This usually does a lot to balance the rod, but can be extremely uncomfy when casting if the butt is toooooo long.

Another suggestion is to get a bigger reel wink.gif

View PostUnbalanced rods suck. Surf, boat, FW - tehy are "heavier" since you have to forcefully hold them to prevent them from tipping foward, as opposed to relaxing and allowing the rod to sit in place in your hands. I'm not a fan of adding weight, and I've never done it. I also do not do many surf rods.

While probably not a viable alternative for other reasons (see next sentence), you could move the reel seat closer to teh tip. This usually does a lot to balance the rod, but can be extremely uncomfy when casting if the butt is toooooo long.

Ya know, that might actually be a pretty good alternative... I'm finding that I'm actually able to use pretty effectively much longer center-to-butt lengths than I I thought I'd be comfortable with... which would probably drastically reduce any additional amount of weight needed in the butt. cwm40.gif

Actuallymif you can lock the rod from the reel and get the tip on a scale and multiply the tip weight by the length from the reel to the tip you might be surprised at how much you have to hold up. Any serious casting session benefits from a balanced setup.

i wouldnt move the reel on a surk rod to obtain a balnced rod. reel position is to important to the casting to move it for that purpose. like i said i have added weight to the but of a surf rod and it is nicer when fishing little weight lures. but other than that the butt ot the reel is between my legs and you are constantly reeling the lure in like that the tip has to be quite heavy to be noticeable out of balnce when fishing like that

View PostNow you know why I'm the King. lol.

Don't you have a picture of yourself with a Burger King crown you could have posted with this? LOLcwm27.gif

View Posti wouldnt move the reel on a surk rod to obtain a balnced rod. reel position is to important to the casting to move it for that purpose. like i said i have added weight to the but of a surf rod and it is nicer when fishing little weight lures. but other than that the butt ot the reel is between my legs and you are constantly reeling the lure in like that the tip has to be quite heavy to be noticeable out of balnce when fishing like that

I'll be using the rod for a variety of things, so tip weight is probably gonna be an issue, especially when plugging. It's just the style of plugging I like to use.redface.gif I'll be stopping by a shop this week, and I'll ask about the adjustable Fuji butt caps.

Fromwhat I understand teh adjustable Fuji butt caps are for FW rods. Most people have never seen them,and I'd be shocked ifa SW shop had any in stock. I could be wrong though