Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pantherm

schoolie leaders

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

The bimini isn't too tough - the trick is that after you do the initial 20 turns to form the loop, that you angle the tag end to that 45 (or more) degree angle so that the line can wrap back up upon itself...then just a couple of hitch knots and you're golden...

Hi The old expression KISS holds true. Cut back the front end of your line, tie a 30-50# loop w/a nail knot to the line, a looped leader (4 or 5 feet of 30# Ande) and your set to go. If you have to go deeper than a 5/0 stainless hook will take you, make a couple of 2ft long lead core sections w/ loops on the ends (nail knotted mono to lead core). Goes on and comes off easily as conditions dictate. I rarely have had to go that route, as the stainless hook is usually enough. The Ande will turn over a 4/0 or 5/0 streamer quite nicely. One thing, if there are alligators around, use a short wire trace. Why make it complicated? That system has taken thousands of schoolies in the past 20 years in the Oyster River and Stage Harbor here in Chatham, from roughly May 1st to mid June every year. Casey Ghee

Technologist and CG have it correct.

Add 3", 4" (30# to 60# depending on fly line wt.) of mono to fly line with nail knot and tie perfection loop on free mono end for quick ldr changes.

For stripers 4 -5 ft of level ldr is all that's ever needed. I also like ANDE's mono.Can use American Wire Surflon as wire tippet also. Another useful knot from mono to either fly line or to wire is Albright. Coat knots with Loon Knot Sense for smoother transition.

CaseyG:

How do you make (knot?) loop on lead core?

View PostThe weakest part of any leader is in he Knot! I used to make leaders,buy tapered leaders & found a regular length off 15lb mono or flouro is just as good unless your going for a tippet record. Later in the season when the blues are around I'll use 40 or 50lb ! No need to make it comlicated. I can understand if your fishing bone fish or permit ( Real Spooky ) But for schoolies you don't need anything more than a one piece leader.

I agree but I like the butt section since some of the places that I fish are a elevated. The heavier butt makes the leader a bit easier to grab than straight 15lb or so.

View PostTechnologist and CG have it correct.

Add 3", 4" (30# to 60# depending on fly line wt.) of mono to fly line with nail knot and tie perfection loop on free mono end for quick ldr changes.

For stripers 4 -5 ft of level ldr is all that's ever needed. I also like ANDE's mono.Can use American Wire Surflon as wire tippet also. Another useful knot from mono to either fly line or to wire is Albright. Coat knots with Loon Knot Sense for smoother transition.

CaseyG:

How do you make (knot?) loop on lead core?

Which is what I meant in my first post but forgot to mention actual length .... for me, this is particularly true if using fast sinking shooting heads

Hi, I guess my age is showing!! Many years ago, I think it was in the fifties, Ted Trueblood did an article outlining the procedure. Very simple. Tie a small perfection loop at the end of 30#-50# Ande or whatever (not fluoro). Lay the mono over the lead core and tie with a nail knot. A little care will keep the juncture small. If you make several length lead cores, ( 1/2ft, 1ft, 2ft, and 3ft) it will cover most situations. Thing to remember is that L/C weighs in at 12 grains per ft, 3 ft added to your line along w/ a 3/0-4/0 or hook will call for one size line smaller for a given rod power. Easy enough to try what works best. I use a #9 line on my 9' #10 Lami with no problems. Just mentioning it as a caution, most of the modern day rods will handle a range of line weights without the line collapsing. Take care, Casey Ghee

I was making my own leaders with Yozuri Hybrid. I've got spools of it from 50lb down to 4. Works real good, but then I bought a couple of furled leaders for my 4 & 6 wt rods. It's the way to go. biggrin.gif

I've since added furled leaders for my 8, 9 & 10 wt rods too. Now I just add some 8 to 15lb test tippet depending on the flies I'm using, via a loop to loop to the furled leader. No more tying leaders.

Very simple, and works great. No problems turning any of my flies over either.

I've got a lot less money invested in the furled leaders than I do in the spools of line too. wink.gif

Tidewaterfly,

I'm glad to hear that you really like the furled leaders. I decided to give them a try and ordered a couple early last week. They should be here any day now. I'm anxious to give them a try. Jim, what is your preferred loop for attaching your tippet to the furled leader?

Thanks,

TIM

Technologist and CG have it correct.

This is the way I do it but I use 40 flouro and an albright with a lock to join the flouro to the flyline. I tie my leaders with berkley or ande with :

3' - 30 lb.

2' - 20 lb.

1' - 12-15 lb. tippet

1' - 30 lb. flouro to fly

I usually only tie half a dozen of these as I carry the tippet and flouro shock leader when fishing and seldom have to change the whole leader.

I will also carry the surflon knottable wire instead of the flouro if the bluefish are thick . I use uni to uni for all the knots. And a perfection loop at the butt. This system serves me well as it is easy to tie . Turns over well and I like having a bite / shock leader at the fly.

Wow!!! This is the most instruction I have ever got from a post...When I wrote the post I told myself I would try up everyones reciepe..so I will keep them coming tide me over until the new moon in April at this rate!

I went to Bass pro in foxboro today..they had the jumbo spools 1200-1500 yards of EXCELL (XL) on sale 3 for $10 dollars. I know this is soft and limp for most leaders but spinning rods should be set for mono I bought 4, 6, 8, 10 ,12, 14, 17lb.....

I also bought some 25 lb amnesia..blood red to try as a shot section nail knot short section the perfection loop...25 was as heavy as they had to bad as it looks like for 8 wt.. most of you are going 30 or more...

Oh, well do be shy weigh in! Streamer and weighted fly leaders for 8 weight...I'm tying!!

The important thing is finding a system that works for you. Best way is by trial and error with input from others. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Tim, the furled leaders have a loop already in them, so I just tie a perfection loop in my tippet. Although, I've also used a surgeons loop too. I prefer the perfection.

I was up late last night...got a whole bunch of your leaders tied including the bimini tippets!

I'm going out today to find a spool of 30 and 40 amnesia and a spool of 16 and 30 floro...

Last year I wasn't sure how long I was going to be on east coast so much of the time I was line Mattp ran a straight short 30 floro leader..

Who knows if it will be worth it...

Just looking at it...what LOOKS coolest is a nail knot to a foot long section of high vis red to a loop to a leader with a loop about 2.5" tapered to another mono section five pounds lighter to another loop of 16 floro bimini tippet...the bright red strike indicator quick change loop to loop the step down with blood knots all loop to loop with the sexy 16 floro tippet bimini...

Dam when that new moon hit RI this april I will hook up!

I have all kinds of things now..Who knows by July it might be a 5 foot section of 25 big game flailing away stripping like a mad man....