Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pantherm

schoolie leaders

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Ok..this should be interesting...

Pehaps some of you have fly rods out and are chomping at the bit for the return of the schoolies...

What I want to know is say for an 8 weight....what are your custom leaders like? Give me materials...diameter...taper etc.

My custom trout leaders are an elaborate affair...last year my schoolie leaders we as simple at times as a 6 foot piece of 30 lb seaguar floro..

This year I'm broke...and I know the floro has great abrasion resistance and low vis..but it is expensive and I have a lifetime supply of maxima and time to tie bloodknots....so...I'm thinking of tying up a seasons worth of leaders labeling them and putting them in zip locks...

I'm going to be mostly fishing my own epoxies streamers, cone head marabu buggers, clousers, and whatever my buddies give me to test out...

I used to use my Tie Fast Combo Toolheart.gif to put about a 10" section of blood red amnesia ending in a small pefection loop then (for the 8 weight) start out with a section of .026 (with a perfection loop on one end) then a section of .021 then a tippet with a double surgons....

Last year I used the Tie fast Combo tool to put on a nice knot to flyline added a drop of UV curing glue ran a section of 30lb seaguar and if the fly was small tied a double surgons to add a 20lb seaguar section....

At the risk of being long winded...if you are following me what are you guys doing...

The like I said the floro was great...but also some disadvantages knots aren't as nice..knot strength might no be as good..the maxima turns over better...tomorrow I'm making leaders So let me know!!

6' - 7' of 30lb ande leader material for the butt on 9wt and lighter and 40 on 10wt and up. Perfection or surgeons loops in each end of the leader. The tippet is 2' - 4' 8-20lb mono of some kind, whatever is handy. Bimini twist in one end of the tippet and that's it. Anything else and you're making it more complicated than it really needs to be.

How do you attach leader (that has loops on both ends) to flyline?

then you have tippet with a loop on one end and a Bimini on the other?

Don't get mewrong I am not questioning you or anyone else's riggs I'm learning the secretes of my fellow flyfisherman...I understand that this is not like a leader for a spring creek..shouldn't need to be hard to work...

But I was going to tie up some rigs tonight and tomorrow to the recipe you guys recommend just for kicks and to test a few things out...I like the Bimini...

Because I'm kinda slow maybe we could start at flyline connection then work our way down..

4'-30#

2'-20#

2'-12# or 15#

I use Berkley Big Game mono.I find floro is totally unnecessary for stripers.Whip a loop in your fly line to attach the leader.Also use a perfection knot between the 20# and your tippet.

View Post6' - 7' of 30lb ande leader material for the butt on 9wt and lighter and 40 on 10wt and up. Perfection or surgeons loops in each end of the leader. The tippet is 2' - 4' 8-20lb mono of some kind, whatever is handy. Bimini twist in one end of the tippet and that's it. Anything else and you're making it more complicated than it really needs to be.

Talk about complicated, a Bimini twist?

View PostHow do you attach leader (that has loops on both ends) to flyline?

then you have tippet with a loop on one end and a Bimini on the other?

Don't get mewrong I am not questioning you or anyone else's riggs I'm learning the secretes of my fellow flyfisherman...I understand that this is not like a leader for a spring creek..shouldn't need to be hard to work...

But I was going to tie up some rigs tonight and tomorrow to the recipe you guys recommend just for kicks and to test a few things out...I like the Bimini...

Because I'm kinda slow maybe we could start at flyline connection then work our way down..

THe flyline has a loop in it - whipped, nail knot, however you want. All the connections are loop-loop. The tippet gets too short replace it with another and the butt stays intact. I pre-tie my tippets and carry a bunch with me. You can substitute a surgeons loop or perfection loop in the tippet instead of the bimini (but it won't be as strong a connection) but as I said the bimini is a very easy knot to tie. The 'knee' diagrams/pictures make it look a lot harder and more complicated than it really is.

IMO. and fishing exclusively from a boat: 2' to 3' of 20# BBG for sinking lines, no more than 5' of the same for any other type of line. Perfection loop at the end, looped directly to the loop on the end of the fly line. Makes it simple and efficient at night, in the wind and sea, etc. 20# lets you get the fish in and released quickly, it gives you something to grab onto when the fish is in close, and BBG straightens and knots well and is pretty abrasion resistant. These fish are not leader shy and floro is a waste of money. If you are spooking fish on the cast, it's the fly line, not the leader. Try a clear intermediate or floating line to solve this problem.

Interesting all I will tie those all up tonight...keep them coming I am on a roll...I like the big game tip I have a liketime suppy of that as well..use it on some leaders. thanks to all I'm tying Bimini tippets right now....

I keep it simple, 4 feet of Berkely Vanish 20# floro connected loop to loop at the flyline and Duncan Loop on the fly, or if a big enough eye, I tie a big loop with 3 overhand twists, and do a loo p to loop to the fly,- through hook eye and around the fly.

the other night, my flyrodder club had a leader seminat. Basically the following formula is suggested for 8 wgt rod:

8' leader= butt section 4' of 30 lb; mid section of 1.5' 25lb,another mid section of 1' 20#, and tippet of 1.5' 15#

4.5' is recommended for sinking lines: 2' of 30lb, midsection is 1' of 20lb, and tthe tippet is 1.5' of 15lb

If you want to do heavy but leaders, try this:

for an 8' leader - butt is 4' of 50 lb; two mid sections of 1.5' of 40# and 1 foot of 30lb and finally 1.5' 20# tippet

The weakest part of any leader is in he Knot! I used to make leaders,buy tapered leaders & found a regular length off 15lb mono or flouro is just as good unless your going for a tippet record. Later in the season when the blues are around I'll use 40 or 50lb ! No need to make it comlicated. I can understand if your fishing bone fish or permit ( Real Spooky ) But for schoolies you don't need anything more than a one piece leader.