Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimmyB

Mis matched tires

12 posts in this topic

Jeep GC came with wrangler st's on it, I was thinking about upgrading but can't do it all at once.

Is it OK to have different sets of tires on the front/rear as long as they are the same size?

One tire really needs to be replaced, and I thought i would just get a pair and put them on the rear as long it won't hurt the truck.

Thanks

As long as it's the same size (e.g. 235/75R15). Match by the axle: left and right tires on the axle need to be the same.

Most vehicles can handle a subtle difference (tire wearing from new sizes down to 3/32 tread or so) between front and rear.

You should be fine,years ago it was said that all should be the same. I dont think they were as versatile as tranny sytems today. WHen I was a kid my pops always did all four at once no matter what.

i tried that with my truck and my mechanic said not to. example wanted to go with bigger tired 265/70/17 had 24/70/17 i said replace 2 back then the front, he no you will mess up abs stearing ect. and i even asked if i could go with the same size tire but different brand/tread pattern, and similar response even though they are the same size they are not. so i saved up and got a new set. also with 4x4's they say to change all 4 at the same time. idk but another nightmare was when i needed to replace a tire on an outback had a blowout, town fair tire said they wouldnt put the tire on and that my dad wasnt in the system, (bought 2 sets from them liars) they refused to put it on without changing all 4, i was like ***mad.gif so i told them put the tire on the rim, so they did and i had to put on the car in their lot, their reason was insurance and said being awd a new tire on one side causes the system to work harder due to the system thinking that wheel is getting more traction than the other 3. id say wait and get all 4 at the same time. and sry for the rant

i causes the system to work harder due to the system thinking that wheel is getting more traction than the other 3. id say wait and get all 4 at the same time.

This is true, especially at higher speeds.

Your Jeep GC is not AWD. So you can place two tires on the back that are not the same tread design as the front as long as they are the same size. Good luck with it.

If your Jeep is not full time 4wd you can get away with 2 tires if it's a full time system you MUST do 4 at once otherwise the viscous coupling in the transfer case will overheat and destroy itself.

View PostYou should be fine,years ago it was said that all should be the same. I dont think they were as versatile as tranny sytems today. WHen I was a kid my pops always did all four at once no matter what.

other way around these days on a lot of cars actually, most noteable AWD vehicles. one tire being 1/4" in difference of diameter(and it happens more often than you'd think, even from the same lot of tires) can cause havoc with the trans and trans case.

but in this case heshould be fine with 2 of the same on the front and 2 of the same on the back

View Postthanks for the feedback.

I have selectrac 4wd on the jeep, but have decided to put all 4 on anyway.

Thanks again

Rotate at every oil change. You will be fine.

Posted too late I guess since you went with 4. But I was under the impression it was always better to have your best tires on the front if you're only replacing 2. That was long before AWD etc. And then again, I only buy trucks, at least for the last 30 years or so.