Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bolo1

Replacing Hooks

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am replacing trebles on my plugs with single hooks and/or circles. Any suggestions on what to use, size, manufacturer etc? Need all the help I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanksheadscratch.gif

One should not consider using circle hooks on the plug. In may cases at least for me I prefer to replace the hooks on my plugs with one or two sizes higher then what generally is attached,

Having said that one also must be aware that it can also change the action of the plug by doing so. Replacing the tail treble with a single swiwash can add a little more distance to your cast , especially if it is not tied with bucktail. Again the size varies. Speaking in very general terms I genarally do a visual comparison to provide the best appearance with out being to large or too small. Sizeing depends at least for more to do with personal preferance and what size are the fish we are on. I find that the small trebles seem to allow for more breakoffs and from a safety aspect harder to get undone thus causing more cuts. That is why one needs to have long nose pliers or a fish degorger to remove tem fro a well hooked fish that may be green

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the direction regarding the circles. Generally speaking, should I go with 6/0, 7/0 or in that vicinity or try to match one for one? Winter has got me, getting very anxious heart.gif

All this info has been discussed in the "Lure building Forum" ,, But you can bring it up again over there .. Be prepaired to actaully list what type plug , what length,what weight,, .. You'll get a ton of response. You can really fine tune your plugs with hooks ,, Too heavy an arse hook on most swimmers will kill it .Go smaller/lighter it will come to life. Dannys and small handcarve bomber types come to mind as very hook sensitive . This is a 2 page maybe 3 page subject in Lure Building ... do yourself a favor and repost over there ..