Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vladimir_Kazan

Pelagic Extreme Spectra Braid line?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Please educate us on what you know about braided lines and what you are using where you are from.

I am VERY interested!

I have heard of INSANE fishing in Russian rivers and such. Please show me some pictures of where you fish and your equipment.

Regards,

JC

Thanks Jameson,

Just about b-lines, I think in near future the lottery character of purchases in this sector only will grow. Firstly due to very major difference in the cost price of production in SEA and price in the market on it under "names", it boosts the manufacturers to sell that most beside the "names".

I have preferred, that the manufacturers (sellers), instead of pages of zero significant words of empty advertising, specified:

- Type of polyethylene, type and total number of fibers

- Number of strands

- Density of interlacement

- Presence or absence of severe impregnation (microimpregnation), material of impregnation, percentage share

- Presence or absence of surface impregnation (covering), material of impregnation, percentage share

- Presence or absence of diverse materials (for example, for increase of a specific gravity), percentage share

- Guaranteed maximal and minimal local strengthes (i.e. in any point of line).

It is those 7 lines of the information, which one would guarantee qualities in themselves and their stability. As they can be tested itself and, in case of a fraud, to punish the unscrupulous manufacturer (seller) through court.

Hi, all. I don't usually post here, but I see lots of statements that this line is crap, save your money, get something better, etc. This is the first post that comes up in a google search for this line, so that's why I posted this here in an ancient thread.

There are lots of people out there somewhere who are buying the stuff if you watch the ebay auctions. I think most people who say its crap are talking crap and have never tried it. argue.gif

I tried it out (50lb blue--becuase of the color) and would say it is the best braid I've ever used for bottom fishing. Yes. It sinks. No. It does not stick to itself--it slips against itself so birdsnests don't really happen and the tangles in the reel come out easier than anything else I ever used. You can spool 300 yards using your thumb and index finger for tension and not get burned or cut even reeling extremely fast. I have never had that experience with any other fishing line mono or braid. My guess is that it is not 100% spectra. Feels like it has some of the old kevlar line in it, which was around before spectra became the norm (probably why it sinks), seems to have teflon or something in it or on it, too. It is at least as many strands as power pro, but is less serrated, more round, has smaller fibers and doesn't spin on the way up or dig into spools like PP. It holds bottom with less weight than any other braid I have used.

Cons. A bit hard to tie knots in until you get used to it. The coating comes off a lot in the beginning. After a while it stops and doesn't seem to have any negative affect on the line. It is nearly impossible to cut to a clean tag end. To me, that's not totally bad because the fibers are so soft, but it can be annoying. The difficulty in getting a clean cut is what makes me think it must have kevlar or some other fiber in it--because the old tan/grey kevlar stuff that used to be available was shiny and waxy looking and feeling and was just as hard to cut and get a clean tag end on. This stuff has some of those waxy feeling properties that other braids don't have. So a few extra twists are needed when tying on a topshot or it can slip at the knot while trying to break off a snag if there aren't enough twists and you lose the whole topshot or leader (once the coating stops coming off, this becomes less of a problem).

Worst experience with it is getting snagged, looping the line around the right side of my Avet SX 6/4 to pop the line by pulling on the reel instead of the rod--line doesn't break and slips in between the reel seat and the almost razor sharp edge of the gear circle (I call it the scissor) -- then the line gets cut right at the reel. Lost about 200' that way recently. But that is really a problem with the reel not the line. Since it has happened to me with PP and Berkley on the same reel. D'oh!

As far as the price goes, it seems like it costs at least as much as PP and all of the other stuff, if not more. Definitely worth trying.

I've used it on my conventional reels, and like it. It is thicker than other braids, in the 50# to 65# test class. I've tried the 30#, 40# 50# 60# and 80# test in this brand. No break offs and knot tying is easy. smile.gif

I forgot that! Thanks! It is a bit thicker, which is another one of the pros of this line. I suspect people may be keeping positive experiences with this line to themselves to avoid going against the general internet consensus that it is bad line.

View Post It is a bit thicker, which is another one of the pros of this line.

Why would you say that being thicker is a pro? It's the other way round. If you got a Power Pro at the same thickness as the one you like, it would have a higher breaking strain...