Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Fly Fishing Shops

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm going to be in the Wood's Hole/Falmouth area of Cape Cod and I'm interested in recommendations on your favorite Fly Fishing Shops to visit within a reasonable driving distance of maybe 1-1/2 - 2 hours. Actually it doesn't have to be exclusively a Fly Fishing Shop. I find it very difficult to drive by any Fishing Store without stopping!

Thanks.

TIM

There are no fly shops in the immediate area, although Eastmans does carry some. Given that you said you don't mind driving 45 minuts to an hour, you can head back over the bridge to the mainland and head to Bear's Den, which is in Taunton, MA...It's one of the better shops I've ever been in period...let alone just best in the area.

If you like other shops aside fly shops, there's Red Top in Bourne/Buzzards Bay, which is just on the mainland side of the Bourne Bridge, M & Ds over in Wareham (approx. 15 minutes from the Bourne Bridge on the mainland side), and Canal Bait and Tackle over in Sandwich.

I was also very high on Falmouth Bait and Tackle, but they've changed ownership and I haven't been in there yet to see how it is...but provided it's close to what it was before, I'd give that high marks for general saltwater tackle. Eastmans is also in Falmouth and it was also one of my favorites. However, I'm not too keen on them anymore - although they do have a fair amount of stock and could be interesting in some ways. But my current favorites are the ones listed in my first paragraph. Btw, these two Falmouth Shops are both located right on Rt 28

When are you going to be "on cape"?headscratch.gif Some shops are closed or on "winter hours" and you may be steered to a closed shop.

View PostWhen are you going to be "on cape"?headscratch.gif Some shops are closed or on "winter hours" and you may be steered to a closed shop.

That's a good point - I (probably wrongly) assumed he meant towards fishing season. If it's not, you should probably call some of the shops I mentioned just in case. I will tell you that Bear's Den is open all year - but closed on Sundays. Red Top is open as well, although may have shortened hours. Eastman's claims to be open year round but is usually closed when I drive by there in the offseason. Falmouth Bait and Tackle had year round hours prior to their changing ownership but I don't know right now....but according to a thread in the MA Forum, they're running a 20% off sale; so I assume they're probably open.

If Goose Hummock is still in business on the Orleans - eastham line they have a fly shop.

Fishing the cape in Harwich, is a full blown fly shop, and their sister store, Aarons of Easham, better known as Flyshopcloseouts, which has limited inventory.

Thank you albacized, theshadow, flysully, pantherm, JEFFSOD, Mike Oliver, and greenie for all your recommendations. I'll see how many of these shops I can visit while I'm up there in May/June. From all the good things I've heard here on SOL about Bear's Den, I definately have to get there at least once!

I've been to Eastman's and Falmouth Bait and Tackle. When we're out running errands, I usually stop in there a couple of times a week when we're on the Cape. Last May, I stopped by Falmouth Bait and Tackle and I heard a couple of guys speaking with an English accent. Though I wasn't a member of SOL then, I had been following posts here and knew that Mike Oliver was fishing over here on this side of the pond. I walked up to one of these guys and said: " You wouldn't happen to be Mike Oliver would you?".......The surprised look on his face.....priceless.....One of his friends said something like: " Here's one for the record books Mike!".....So, Mike Oliver holds the distinction of being the first SOL'ER that I met in person. It was really nice to meet you Mike!

Thanks again everyone for all your recommendations.

TIM

View PostTake the Ferry to Marthas Vineyard. There are two good fly shops on the island. Larrys and Coops. Both are around Edgartown.

That makes for expensive flys unless you fish on the Vineyardbiggrin.gif

Good point I need to fish the Vinyard and I love fly shops...that is on the list....all I need now is money for the ferry...I'll bring a backpack with food water and all the stuff I need visit coops and larry's and fish the vinyard!!! May sounds good...early may I hope..this wait is killing me