Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOCKEYDAD

starting back lawn from scratch

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

OK, it's that time of year again. I killed my lawn (weeds) back in the fall. I want to reseed with a slit seeder using a tall fescue athletic field mix. I redid my front 2 falls ago. When would be the optimal time to reseed the back?

I know......lawns are evil, but it beats tracking dirt into the house.

Thanks, it must have taken all of your will power. I figured it was still too early. It's still pretty cold at night and not getting that warm during the day. It's not something I am really looking forward to doing. Wrestling that slit seeder around the front was a bear of a job.

You can plant it now, and the grass seed will decide when it's time to germinate as soil temps rise. Yeah, it's better to do in the fall, but it will work fine in the spring, too, just more chance for weeds to encroach.

Heres how I did it on a large corner lawn using small mostly bluegrass seeds.

First I soaked the seeds under water for 3 days then took them out of the water and spread them out to dry for an afternoon. Then when they were

dry enough to not stick together I spread them over the lawn and covered the whole lawn with old bedsheets. You have to keep the whole thing wet around the clock or else the seeds will wither and die quickly if they sprout in a dry environment. Seeds sprout faster under sheets and the grass seems to grow fast and look great because of the sheets. The weather doesn't have to be hot while you are doing this, It just needs to be warm about a week after you start when the grass is ready to sprout. You can get cheap worn out bedsheets at some thrift stores.

View PostYou can plant it now, and the grass seed will decide when it's time to germinate as soil temps rise. Yeah, it's better to do in the fall, but it will work fine in the spring, too, just more chance for weeds to encroach.

what he said

but if your old lawn was full of weeds, it was because the grass wasn't happy

make the grass happy and you will have far fewer problems

might need lime

might need loam

might need gypsum

what is the site like?

old, new, wet, dry, sunny, shady, etc.

View Postwhat he said

but if your old lawn was full of weeds, it was because the grass wasn't happy

make the grass happy and you will have far fewer problems

might need lime

might need loam

might need gypsum

what is the site like?

old, new, wet, dry, sunny, shady, etc.

I have gotten rid of (unpainted) sheetrock by leting it winter on the yard/in the garden and the area thrived the next year.

View PostI have gotten rid of (unpainted) sheetrock by leting it winter on the yard/in the garden and the area thrived the next year.

it breaks up clay particles and lets water get through

"flocculation" is the term

doesn't change the pH

View Postit breaks up clay particles and lets water get through

"flocculation" is the term

doesn't change the pH

The flocculation I know is where a chemical is added to sewage to make the chunks bigger and drop out of suspension.

Your description sounds like the opposite of how I understood it.

Cool, thanks for the new definition of the day.

Most pre-emergent crabgrass products will also prevent grass germination. So avoid such products on the new lawn this year or select a product that will not supress seed germination (but may require multiple applications).

View PostThanks, it must have taken all of your will power. I figured it was still too early. It's still pretty cold at night and not getting that warm during the day. It's not something I am really looking forward to doing. Wrestling that slit seeder around the front was a bear of a job.

There was frost here in Pine Beach this morning cwm13.gif

And it snowed yesterday morning on the equinox rolleyes.gif

Steve, did you maybe leave something behind at the motel, that's giving off bad mojo?

Kinda like Kryptonite wink.gif