Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish1928thing

how strong are rods?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

how strong are rods commonly used? as in pulling dead weight(like stingray, ur buddie, the rock, pier pilings)

ugly stick? are they as tough as they claim to be(i have one but never really abused it yet)

tsunami air wave

tica

lamiglas tri-flex

st. croix triumph

I have not managed to break a rod while fishing, but always wondered how strong are rods

Ugly stiks are pretty close to unbreakable, unless you shut them in a car door or something.

Most fiberglass or fiberglass/graphite composite rods (like Ugly Stik) can take a lot of abuse. Fiberglass boat rods can be bent like a pretzel, I've done it plenty.

Graphite rods are more fragile. You can definately break them lifting a decent sized fish, pulling hard on a snag, casting weight materially above the rating of the blank, etc. They are also more vulnerable to nicks and deep scratches.

Here is a graphite rod that weighs 12oz pulling in a 120lb fish. That should put an end to the old wives tale that graphite rods are puny or will break if fished hard.

For the beating surf rods and reels take, if you are not embarrassed to be seen with an Ugly Stick, it is unbeatable for the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJFo9DrALE pvJFo9DrALE

View PostUgly stiks are pretty close to unbreakable, unless you shut them in a car door or something.

Most fiberglass or fiberglass/graphite composite rods (like Ugly Stik) can take a lot of abuse. Fiberglass boat rods can be bent like a pretzel, I've done it plenty.

Graphite rods are more fragile. You can definately break them lifting a decent sized fish, pulling hard on a snag, casting weight materially above the rating of the blank, etc. They are also more vulnerable to nicks and deep scratches.

All true, but fiberglass & fiberglass composite rods do not come close to the sensitivity of graphite.

my 10' ugly stick is by far my favorite chunking rod. it'll throw a 3oz/5oz bait damn far. Far enough that my buddys 11 and 12 can't outcast it.

I've even pulled in a damn lobby pot with it.

This is kind of a wide question, Like comparing apples to oranges. Comparing strength of rods has to do with, Material,how the material is laid up, how much material, even taper or action.

An Ugly Stik is a composite that is not made like most composite rods like a Lami triflex or Seeker Ulua. So even a comparison between them isn't fair. That being said when it comes to blanks and material Fiberglass isn't stronger then carbon fiber it just stretch and bends more before it breaks.

Carbon fiber resists bending and is much stronger and stiffer a material, BUT it doesn't have alot of compressive strength like fiberglass. E-glass and even more so S-glass have very good compressive and hoop strength. High modulus carbon isn't "brittle" it's just stronger material and less of it is needed to build a rod of the same strength as a lower modulus so... It has thinner walls and is more a canidate for damage mostly from banging it around not fishing presssure.

An Ugly stick is made with a wound fiber thread kind of criss cross up and down, with fiberglass being the core and graphite being the outer. most others are made with Flags of cloth material placed on a mandral and rolled under pressure and then cured.

For rocks and peirs I'd stick with the ugly stik

For rays the Tica is fine

For your buddie, I'd go with the St.Croix or Lamiglas. Only the best for a buddy.

But to avoid breaking the rod snagging your friend, set the drag at a reasonable setting and keep the rod tip low as you work your buddie closer. That rod over the head shot is best used for bass fishing shows.

View PostUgly stiks are pretty close to unbreakable, unless you shut them in a car door or something.

The only rod I've ever broken was a honey glass Lami. wink.gif

i have had at one time or still do have atleast one rod made by most of the companies mentioned in this forum. i agree for a rod that you need to take a beating and ugly stik is a fine choice but for an awesome graphite hands down st.croix a own 7 of these babies and i can not find another graphite that will compare in my book to st.croix not to mention a rod of any material they are a truly great product and are hard to beat. just a little note the the only difference between the triumph blanks and the premier blanks is that the premiers go through a close inspection and sorting procedure after the blanks are complete hope this helps

tight lines

While most of my rods for fresh water and lighter saltwater are decent to very good graphite rods, including a variety of St Croixs up to their avid series, my lone true surf rod is an Ugly Stick...this is because I don't really do 'true' surf fishing enough to justify the cost of a higher end rod and this rod will do the job...basically nowadays it's relegated to the occasion beach shark fishing trip I might take and in fact is coming down to FL with me for some nights out on the beach...