Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chumfish

Ssb1363m

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just acquired a SSB1363M, old school spinner at a great price. Wraps and guides are perfect. I'm matching it with a VS250b and 20# Ande.

The thing is, it only has 4 guides and the tip.

Anyone ever see (or build) a 11' spinner like this, and are there any issues with so few guides?

Thanks

In reality alot of old rods were like that. Does it make a difference? Yes! One thing about having more guides isn't really about casting as it is "supporting" the rod. More guides help distribute the stress through the blank. Less guides could create a problem where the pressures of the line (during a hard retrieve or casting) pin point pressure in a larger area or between the guides and cause a failure.

I doubt you would have a problem, I have an old 11'6 Fenwick E-glass that has five + tip and I over load the heck out of it. The graphite rods I feel are the blanks that need more guides over all but the old school Cone style guide set up work on these as well. if your rod is in good shape and you have no desire to rebuild it..... Use it and enjoy! The S-glass Lamis are decent rods!

That's a great rod!

Mine was built with 5 guides, so when I rebuilt it, I put 7 on it, cone of flight. That was many years ago, and when I rebuild it again this summer, I am going with The New Guide Concept, so I will most likely end up with 8-9 guides.

Fish it, don't high stick it, and when you rebuild it, be kind and go a bit more up to date on the layoutsmile.gif

View PostI just acquired a SSB1363M, old school spinner at a great price. Wraps and guides are perfect. I'm matching it with a VS250b and 20# Ande.

The thing is, it only has 4 guides and the tip.

Anyone ever see (or build) a 11' spinner like this, and are there any issues with so few guides?

Thanks

On Nantucket in the old days, they'd build that thing with 3 guides plus tip wink.gif