Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plugsy Seagull

10' JKF rebuild NGC style

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm rebuilding a kennedy fisher 10' that is now 9'11". The reel is a VS250 with 30#braid.

On a straight edge it looks like it'll take a 40-25-16-8-8-8-8-8+tip top. The reduction guides form an archery target to the choker.

I'm also interested in using the Fuji SV series alconites guides. The guides I'm using to spec the rods are Hardloys. I'm not sure if they are the same height. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't have enough 8's so I have not tested the rod yet.

All comments welcome.

rodbuild.jpg

rodbuild2.jpg

Yep, as long as the frame designation is the same they'll be the same height - ring size measures the outside diameter of the ring - a BSVAG20 is the same height as a SVSG20 is the same height as a BSVOG20.

Sweet blank by the way drool.gif

EB, Thanks for the info.

I saw your other post you recommended 25-16-12-10-10-10-10-10. I want to try that smaller guide scheme but I'm confused on the placement. The stem of the reel seat is 23 inched from the butt. The rod is exactly 9' 10.5" Can you recommend an approximate layout with those guides.

For the little it is worth, I went through the same process with a 10 ssu blank last winter for a ZB25.

I initially tried size 8 vsg guides as running guides, but they seemed too delicate for the strength of the blank and I ended up using size 10 nsg's instead (same general height) Likewise, given the strength of the blank and height of the guide you don't need running guides every 5". Mine ended up 5.5, 7.5, and 8.5" from the tip. Looks stupid but works fine (though I fish primarily conventional and have little to compare it with). I ended up using Titanium for all but the collector to keep weight down.

View PostI'm rebuilding a kennedy fisher 10' that is now 9'11". The reel is a VS250 with 30#braid.

On a straight edge it looks like it'll take a 40-25-16-8-8-8-8-8+tip top. The reduction guides form an archery target to the choker.

I'm also interested in using the Fuji SV series alconites guides. The guides I'm using to spec the rods are Hardloys. I'm not sure if they are the same height. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't have enough 8's so I have not tested the rod yet.

All comments welcome.

rodbuild.jpg

rodbuild2.jpg

Looks like a good setup. I just built three 10' spinning rods with the same setup, which was originally suggested by Numbskull. It works very well. There is a noticeable difference in weight when you switch to #8 guides versus #10. Not sure on the durability quite yet, but I used alconite guides on all three rods I built.

Thanks, if I wanted to go with smaller reduction guides, where would #25 go? In place of the 40 or further from the reel?

I need help! I'm in Florida or I'd have the rod built by an experienced Surf Talker. I want to spec it out and have a local shop here build it.

With that reel I would stick with at least a #30 or maybe a 40. You should do a test before wrapping anything to see how it casts. Switch out the Butt guide with a 25, 30 and 40. Also move the guide up or down the blank to see if it cast better. It's all trial and error. You want to se how the rod loads, casts and retreives before you set anything in stone.

The planning stage is the HARDEST part of rod building. Get some thread and finish then wrap it up yourself. You'll be paying someone for something you can do yourself with a bit of patience.

Capt. are you going to be using braided line with that rod? If so, I'd give casting that rod without the size 40 guide a shot. I can't really tell how close the 40 guide is to the reel but it looks unnecessarily close judging by the picture. If it starts line slapping during the cast, then forget everything I saidtongue.gif

View PostThanks, if I wanted to go with smaller reduction guides, where would #25 go? In place of the 40 or further from the reel?

I need help! I'm in Florida or I'd have the rod built by an experienced Surf Talker. I want to spec it out and have a local shop here build it.

i'm from florida.

just passed by jupiter inlet on my way to stuart to deliver a couple stand up rods and a trolling rod.

use the search function and type in"NGC" or "New Guide Concept". i've written alot about the NGC.

here's one for a 10ft'er http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/s...&highlight=ngc